Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restricted user Inventor 2012

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
michael_marx
2912 Views, 13 Replies

restricted user Inventor 2012

In R2012 it should be work to use restricted windows user to work with Inventor. I´m playing around and first it looks good that all is working fine with restricted user. First start Inventor registrates himself without errors and you could work within the restricted User Accounts without errors.

But if you log off from windows and relogon then Inventor doesn´t work correctly anymore. Inventor seems to be no longer registred. The file icons are displayed blank, the ContentCenter dialogbox doesn´t pop up and so on.

But if i change the registred key in windows reg to 0 so that Inventor have to register once again then all works fine.

Adesk please look into it and fix this Problem.

For fast fixing is there a link startoption that Inventor register every startup?

Michael 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Normally restricted user should work without the need to register Inventor every time you restart the machine or relog-in. You can right click on the Inventor icon and select the option "Run As Administrator”. In this case, Inventor should register correctly. Also you can try to have Inventor re-register itself by running Inventor from the command line and using the /install switch at the location that Inventor.exe exists. The command line should look like:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /install

Please see also this information:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11768501&linkID=9242018

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8390215&linkID=9242018

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 14

Hi Daniela,

those links are related only till R2011 not R2012

run as Admin is no fix for me because i can´t give the admin password to the restricted user. security problem 🙂

I think run Inventor as Admin once should registrate inventor to the OS for all other users!?

What does Inventor do if the reg key "registered" in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version] is set to 0

After this Inventor does things different than with the /install option. /Install otpion won´t work as restricted user!!

But with th reg key Inventor works correctly till relogon.

Whats with the blank icons?!

After first start or reset the reg key to 0 in registry  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT there are the file extensions from Inventor listed (.iam, .ipt, ....) After relogon they are missing.

Michael 

Message 4 of 14

The blank icons and the problem you get may be caused by additional restrictions you have on these account. Have you tried to log-in with a newly created user account and check if this problem exists there? Also have you logged once as local administrator of the machine , how it works under this user account?  I did a test and the command C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe/install worked for me as a restricted user.

You can also try to give full access rights to the following registry keys for this user account:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 14

Hi Daniela,

i try to explain what i did.

New Workstation installed with win7 64 with all security updates

Inventor installed with the administrator account of windows disabled UAC no virus scan software installed yet

Inventor started once as Administrator no problems with blank icons all works fine

Created new local user with with windows standard user rights no further restrictions

log on as user start Inventor all works fine

log off

relogon

Inventor doesn´t work fine anymore

give full access rights to the registry for restricted user is not sense of the thing

without install option inventor starts

with install option inventor process pops up in taskmanager and then is gone.

Michael

Message 6 of 14
sam_m
in reply to: michael_marx

I believe you need power user or higher to use Inventor properly - no idea how schools/universities manage.  Think a lot of info is stored (and updated) in registry so need rights to edit it.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 14
sam_m
in reply to: sam_m

note the comment at the end of:

http://www.teknigroup.com/tutorials/InstallAdsk2009.html

"In order to use Autodesk software, you must have at least Power User rights because the software writes to the Windows registry. If your registry is managed from the server, then make sure all pertinent registry keys are open for writing. Also, make sure all users have sufficient Read/Write permissions on referenced folders, locally and on the server."

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 14
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: sam_m

The solution I have mentioned already explains what are the limitations of restricted user account:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11768501&linkID=9242018

Most of this information is also valid for Inventor 2012.

For day-to-day work with Inventor, you do not need administrator rights or power user rights because the user settings of Inventor are written to registry keys located under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive. As a result, you can log on as a limited user (Windows® XP) or standard user (Windows Vista and Win 7).

Daniela Koloszko

Message 9 of 14

PPT from ADESKI found this PPt snapshot where its a new feature of R2012 to work with restricted User

Message 10 of 14
fakeru

I have the same problem I think.

On my workstation I have installed Inventor 2009 and 1012.

Inventor 2012 worked for 2 weeks. But now it closes imediatelly after it starts. I have to "Run as" another restricted user. I can't do anything with this as I don't have administrator rights...

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Message 11 of 14
marshaltu

Dear Michael,

Inventor 2012 can work well with restricted user(xp) or standard user(vista/win7). It is not necessary to run as admin or run Inventor with the option "/install" to register ahead. I am sorry that you got the issue when log on restricted account again. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue in my machine. Could you please provide more information?

1. What's your OS?

2. Which Inventor versions are installed in your machine besides Inventor 2012?

3. Whether are there any adimistrators to run Inventor after you log off from restricted user?

4. Please try to launch add-in Manager and unclick the option 'Load Automatically" of all addins which show in Add-in Manager. And then please launch Inventor to help us narrow down the issue.

5. Any information which you think can help us reproduce your issue.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: fakeru

Had the same behaviour on some workstations: Inventor 12.SP1 closes immediatly after start.

We run a windows-GPO on our workstations to set write-permission to the registry-key HKLM\Software\Autodesk for "Users", so most Autodesk-Software run with limited user rights.

I just removed this write-permission on this workstation and set it to default-settings. Now inventor starts (!?!)

Could anyone verify this?

Message 13 of 14
michael_marx
in reply to: marshaltu

Hi Marshal,

Sorry for the late reply.

1. OS is WIN 7 64bit SP1 

2. No other Inventor Versions installed

3. No other user logon between those things happens

4. in Test

5. other info maybe its a problem of the localization?!? OS and Inventor are German

regards Michael

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I could verify this behaviour on 3 workstations. Inventor 2010/2012 does not start if user has common rights (no admin, no power user) and write-permission to HKLM\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version.

😮

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report