Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Representations: View vs Level of Detail

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
inventor_man
7468 Views, 9 Replies

Representations: View vs Level of Detail

It seems that Views are easier to use, are there any benefits of View option over Level of Detail and vice versa?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi inventor_man, 

View Representations control Color overrides, camara view, visibility, etc. and can be used as a filter in the drawing's part list. Turning off the visibility of components do not remove them from your system's RAM, therefore View Representations are not used to manage memory.

Level of Detail Representations control only suppression states of components, and are used to manage memory by not loading the parts into RAM. They can not be used to filter the drawing's part list.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10

Thank you. This answers my question.

Message 4 of 10

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Level of Detail Representations...can not be used to filter the drawing's part list.

Unless you use iLogic to control the suppression of components.  Using it this way, the parts list updates to show the correct lines and quantities of all unsuppressed components.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: cwhetten

I know this thread is old but like to add an important fact which can influence your choice what to use.

A level of detail is defined in its own assembly and can be called from the outside. So when using a 'child' assembly in multiple different 'parent' assemblies, define and maintain the setting only once in the child assembly. All parents can call the child and refer to the settings which is stored inside it. Very easy for reuse.

Unfortunately this cannot be done with a view represenation.

It would be more then nice to control the use of  view representations from their  parent assemblies.

Message 6 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Not true-- view representations of subassemblies are controlled by the higher-level assembly in the same way that LOD representations are.  Here is the dialog box that appears after right clicking on a subassembly component and choosing Representation...

View Rep in Assembly.png

Different View Reps in the top assembly can use different view reps of subassembly components, which can use different View Reps of their own components, nested to a nearly infinite extent (I would not want to try to manage that many levels, of course!).

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 7 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Maarten,

How are you doing? I am sorry I am a bit lost. What do you mean by "the ability to control child view representation in parent assemblies?" I thought it could be done already. You can right-click on a given component in the browser -> Representation. Also, you can set the default design view rep on placing a part or an assembly. Could you clarify a bit?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Hello Sam,

Thank you for the eye opener. I was only looking in the structure browser where you cannot select a view representation of a sub assembly.  See picture, sub assembly N19-20278 does have a view representation defined but it is not shown in the tree.

Clipboard01.jpg

Is there way to see what view representation is active in the sub assembly? Would be nice if it is shown behind the sub assembly name in brackets.

I will forward the message in my teams to discover the secrets behind the right mouse click.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Maarten,

It is indeed available. Just right-click on "N19-20278:1" -> Representation -> select the desirable DVR. The reason why non Master DVRs are not listed there is because 1) the subassembly is shown in Master DVR; 2) the DVR is not linked to the upper assembly DV. Master DV cannot be linked anyway.

In other words, any change in appearance or component visibility in the subassembly in this context will be stored in the currently active DV at the top-level assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 10

Hello all,

It was really a nice discussion on Representations: View vs Level of Detail. I think both having there own advantages depending on how and where we use.

I got a really nice video showing advantages of view representation on youtube & link is below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knnqxVH55tM&list=PLEkfaMyIWbq7D9sAJqJALWWjDTCxqqrpE&index=17&t=0s

I also hope it will solve issue from Mr.

Dnyaneshwar Maid
Design Engineer @MIBA,
Student Expert@Inventor

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report