Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace component doesn't keep constraints made to the origin.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
andrewdroth
113 Views, 2 Replies

Replace component doesn't keep constraints made to the origin.

I'm replacing parts in an assembly with phantom assemblies of the same name. I was surprised when I used the Replace Component option that it couldn't retain the flush constraints to the origin work planes. 

For example, each part has it's YZ, XZ, and XY planes constrained flush to the matching ones in the assembly.

Since those planes are universal between parts and assemblies I don't see why it would get tripped up by that?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
James_Willo
in reply to: andrewdroth

Hi Andrew, I can reproduce this, I will ask the team about this, it might be that it's as designed since an assembly is different from a part, but I totally get what you're saying. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 3
James_Willo
in reply to: andrewdroth

The reason this works with parts and not with part to assembly is because the browser structure IDs are different.

Part origins have one set of Browser Node internal IDs applied to them, but in assemblies, the part origins have a different Node ID so the constraint fails. If you replace a part with a part, the origin Node IDs match and the constraint will be solved. 

Please post this idea in the Idea Station if you would like it to be considered for future development. We're not sure how easy this feature is to implement though as we haven't looked into how it would work with migrated data. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report