Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace a model in an .ipn - File

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mihaela_kaufmann
193 Views, 5 Replies

Replace a model in an .ipn - File

Hi,

can I replace the modell (.iam) in an ipn-file? 

BR

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

you can use the design assistant and replace the modell in the ipn-file

Message 3 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: mihaela_kaufmann

You can always use the manual hack method:

• rename the model (.iam) file (or move it to a location outside the active project)
  • open the presentation file (.ipn)
  • when asked to find the original .iam file, select the replacement file instead
  • save the presentation
  • return the original file to its original filename (or move it back to its previous location)

This is only possible if the replacement assembly file is a copy of the original, I suspect.  The whole presentation is likely to fail if it's not.

Update: just tried it in 2025-- if not a copy of the original file all tweaks are lost, which probably defeats the purpose of replacing the file rather than just creating a new one.  If the replacement is a copy of the original, then tweaks are retained where possible.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.1.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 6
mihaela_kaufmann
in reply to: SBix26

thank you! It works for my situation! BR,

Message 5 of 6

There is also a 'replace model reference' button on the ribbon, although I think this is a fairly recent enhancement. (Think it's only in 2025)

James_Willo_0-1725946092045.png

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 6 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: James_Willo

I did not remember the new Replace Model Reference tool.  I found that using this tool does not delete tweaks that still make sense even though the replacement file is not a direct copy of the original file.  If using Inventor 2025 or later, always use the Replace Model Reference tool-- it seems to be more robust than the workflow I recommended above.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.1.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report