Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing material from both sides

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jrl5735
240 Views, 3 Replies

removing material from both sides

I'll start by saying I do not use Inventor except to convert my iges file to an stp file for cnc use. That being said my guess is all of you understand extrude, subtract, union commands.

My end product is supposed to be a roughly 5'x4' rectangular piece with a hole in it. Think of the piece as a floor with a slope on both sides of the piece, sloping down toward the hole 1 degree. The hole is not centered. My ending thickness at the hole can be no less than 1/8" and on the perimeter no more than 3/4". You'll notice in the Final Shower Pan.dwg I've provided that the slope runs flat at the very outside edge on the right side because my hole isn't centered. Yes, the hole needs to be where it is.

I had a test piece made at 1/4" scale where the cnc machine took out 1/8" of material. That being said my guess is my profile thickness at the hole has to account for that 1/8" of material being removed because that equates to 1/4" for both sides. So I should tell my cnc guy to remove 1/32 or make my profile thicker before I revolve it.

I can get this to work fine on one side as seen in the Final Shower Pan.dwg

or

I can create a profile and revolve that around a circle without the 4x5 piece.

Here's what I've done...

Draw a 5x4 closed polyline with a 4.25" hole, not centered.

Extrude both to a height of 3/4"

Subtract the hole.

Draw a center line vertically through the piece and the center of the hole to revolve a profile around.

Revolve the profile around the center line 360.

Subtract the revolved result from the extruded rectangle.

• If I do this last part with a profile that reflects my 1 degree slope top and bottom, the subtraction occurs in the middle of the piece or through the thickness of the material. Leaving the top and bottom flat and hollowing out the center.

I can however just throw the extruded rectangle and hole away and just extrude my profile and all is right with the world. I'm sure I'm just doing steps wrong or some such.

J. Logan

J. Logan
CAD Administrator >AutoDesk Products, Windows 11
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jrl5735
in reply to: jrl5735

Sorry for the double post. The first one timed out...or at least said it did. Can't seem to remove this one that doesn't have the attachments.

J. Logan
Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jrl5735

Hi! If possible, please share the file here. It is very hard to comment without seeing the file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
jrl5735
in reply to: johnsonshiue

this post is a second post or a double of the original that contains the files in question. I can't seem to remove the original post, or this post as it were.

Sorry.

J. Logan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report