Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Details from models

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nbga
727 Views, 4 Replies

Removing Details from models

I have a pre-made model supplied to me that i need the internal ribs, small fillets, chamfers and other internal structures removed, and voids filled.

I cannot post part as it is IP.

I use recognize feature but get "No faces were successfully removed"

Inventor 2014

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: nbga

If Shrinkwrap does not work, then Delete Face with Heal might work (you have to use some logic in selection order of removing faces).

There are other techniques using Derived Component, Sculpt.... basically manually doing what ideally Shrinkwrap would do automatically.

Message 3 of 5
nbga
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I get as far as the shrinkwrap to remove some voids, but structural ribs that wont be seen as well as other elements all have some kinda of fillet or chamfer.

the model is not a regular shaped object, it was designed with ergonomics in mind so there are no mirror images of its projections.

It is for IP filing so i do not want to change the appearance of the elements just remove small fillets and such so that lines aren't merging when printed.

If the print out looks like a hard edge when its really a fillet with close tangencies, then i would prefer it be depicted as a hard egde.

Editting the projections in AutoCAD is also way too time consuming and there is the possibility of inconsistencies if i remove the wrong edge or line.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: nbga

Hi! If it is a part, simply use Delete Face -> Heal option remove the geometry. If it is an assembly, you can use Shrinkwrap command and there are a few options to simplify the geometry. Please try it out and let us know if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Was "simplify" available in 2014?... maybe not.. 

It works great for complex model simplification.. (well it did a few years ago when I needed it)..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report