Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Inventor from folder context menu

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1977 Views, 5 Replies

Remove Inventor from folder context menu

How do I remove those menu from right click on a folder ?

I searched all over the windows registry, no luck.

Inventor doesn't seem to have the option not to integrate these menu.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I believe those options were added when Inventor 2020 was installed on your machine. If uninstall Inventor 2020, they should be gone.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Ok I found someone had a similar problem, a software called MenuMaid was able to remove the inventor folder menu.

Message 4 of 6
cetus35

I apologize for the late reply to this question but I came across it by searching for "remove inventor 2020 items from Windows 10 context menu" and the 2 answers given, remove the items by un-installing Inventor (which seems a little harsh) and use MenuMaid (which is for Windows XP and is a little flaky in Windows 10) didn't help me.

I fixed the problem and wanted to post the fix here for anyone else who runs across this post.

TL;DR: Although the below methods work perfectly, and will indeed remove all unwanted context-menu entries, I have also successfully removed the offending Inventor entries with the free version of CCleaner here. (Open CCleaner > Tools > Startup > Context Menu tab > click 'Program' heading > find and disable 'InventorMenu' )

First, the items on the Windows 10 right-click menu items are of two types, 'shell' items and 'shellex' items. To keep this post shorter I won't go into what the differences are. It really doesn't matter in the end, anyway. [Edit: Okay,

'shell' items are always present, while 'shellex' items are 'dynamic' and show up in the context menu depending on what it is you're right-clicking on]

Different ways of dealing with this:

1) Edit the Windows Registry, which is not very safe and may not even clear up all the items you don't want in the context menu since not all Registry entries for dealing with context menu items are in the same place in the Registry.

2) Software utilities made by NirSoft (a trusted software developer) will get rid of either type:

Manage Shell items with ShellMenuView (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shmnview-x64.zip)

Manage Shellex items with ShellExView (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview-x64.zip)

Both utilities are 'Portable' meaning they don't install anything on your system, just unzip the downloaded files and double-click on the executable file inside to run it. Instead of trying to figure out which is the proper one to use, for 'shell' or 'shellex', I just run one, look for the items I want to remove and if I don't see them, run the other utility. Simple.

In addition, you can also modify the 'Open With' and 'Send To' items in the context menu.

1) 'Send To' is very simple as you only remove (or add if you wish) items from a special Windows folder called ...you guessed it ... 'SendTo'.

It's at C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo. Delete any shortcuts in that folder that you don't want to appear in the right-click context menu in the 'Send To' section. (Tip: the easiest way to get to this folder is by typing shell:sendto into Windows 10 File Explorer's (formerly Windows Explorer) address bar and hit Enter)

2) 'Open With' is a little more difficult as it involves editing the Registry, although easier than 'shell' and shellex' items because 'Open With' items are all in one place in the Registry. The instructions are here: https://bit.ly/38g7Zld  (Article at www.howtogeek.com

That's how I got my right-click context menu back under control, not only with the items Inventor added but many others. When I right-click a folder I really don't want 'Open in Design Assistant' and 'Open in Inventor Read-only Mode 2020' very often, or more accurately, never.

I hope that helps someone.

Message 5 of 6
ProfCy

Okay, just had to deal with this, so I'd thought I'd add my share, the reply from @cetus35 is technically helpful, but it could be said a bit easier,

1. go into regedit

2. find and expand Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

2.1 If you expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and just start typing fol... it should take you there

3. Delete InventorMenu (If you really keen, back up your registry beforehand)

Tadaa

Hope it helps someone! 

Message 6 of 6
cetus35
in reply to: ProfCy

If a shorter, easier way was needed, that's what the "TL;DR" was for at the top 🙂 I noted all the steps simply for completeness.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report