Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular coil model

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1241 Views, 16 Replies

Rectangular coil model

Hi,

I'm trying to do a rectangular coil for few days now and I'm having many difficulties.
Here is an example of more or less what I'm trying to do.
201001191115371e1d1aea5e.JPG
http://www.uratani-eng.com/english/service/images/201001191115371e1d1aea5e.JPG

Could you help me?
This is what I've made. Inside corners are not curved correctly and I can't really fix it. Also I would like to go to a lower level from the inside, but can't really find a way to bend the pipe, I can't separate last section of it.
image.png

I know it may sound silly, but I'm a beginner in 3d designing.
Thank you for help!
Regards,
Kuba

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach the *.ipt file of your attempt here?

The solution will involve a Sweep path generated as the intersection of two surface bodies.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Please find it in the attachment.
Thank you.

Message 4 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

Aren't the bend radii of your Sweep path obviously too small?

You have an outside bend on the resulting sweep, but not an inside bend?

I would expect the fillet in the path to be minimum 7.5  or 7.6 and all of them controlled from one dimension?

If you have a subscription access to the Updates - I recommend that you install them while waiting for someone to post an example solution for your design.

Message 5 of 17
Thomas_Savage

Hello @Anonymous

I have attached 2 Screenshots.

Are either of these screenshots what you wanted?

I changed the radius. And extended, shortened the sweep.

Thomas

Sweep.pngSweep 2.png

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 6 of 17

My interpretation was additional layers?

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

Thank you very much. That's one problem solved.

Could you also tell me how to solve this layer/levels issue (marked on the attached pic).

Message 8 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! I tweak the design a little bit. And also, I use surface pattern to create the geometry for the path easily. The path is too tight and it can lead to same-segment-self-intersecting sweep, which Inventor does not support yet. I make the offset slight bigger.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you very much.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

And is there any simple way to avoid these turnarounds? Because I am afraid it will affect the results of the heat transfer (in this hollow there is a coolant flow).

Please find in the attachment the ideal solution that would solve it. Either that "smooth" or "sharp"

Message 11 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here you go. You just need to change the path a little bit. Then the sharp turns are smooth now.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you.

Would there be a way to do it similar like i attached pictures in this post? Would it be complicated? Because I am trying to avoid to have these 180deg turnarounds in the path.

The coil goes from the lower external horizontal layer to the upper external layer then goes to the second horizontal layer from the outside then goes down then in the bottom it goes one layer inside once again then up etc.

Please find in the attachments picture of my drawing (it's pretty bad sorry) and the magnet coil itself (unfortunately I can't disassembly it so the picture may not be really clear as well). If it is not clear enough, I could draw it better / take a better picture of a coil.

Message 13 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! There might be a better way to do it. Please take a look at attached solution. In the meantime, I would like to see how these models inspire some ideas from you.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you again and sorry for being so absorbing.

I changed the approach and tried to do it a bit differently, but again I met different problem. I can't extrude the line which is a layer changer. Therefore I can't really do that layer that will be a pattern up to the top. I have also concern that the angle between this layer changing piece will cause discontinuity there (red color on the drawing).

Please find in the attachment the drawing.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Sorry for forgetting the attachment

Message 16 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I don't understand the problem you are having. What do you mean by you cannot extrude and the layer technique does not work? Please be more specific.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 17
kelly.young

Helllo @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Here is a good way to accomplish what you're looking for using two different 2D Sketches and bringing together within a 3D Sketch using Intersection Curve.

rec_coil.png

Here's a similar post:

Porcupine Element 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report