Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radial Tubes and trimming

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
658 Views, 13 Replies

Radial Tubes and trimming

Hi Inventor Experts,

I would like to know if my request is possible in Inventor?

I have a Pipe header (30 inches OD)

and some Radial Tube connections to the header. 

I have named and constrained construction lines radially to the header.

I did a sweep for the radial tubes but I don't want them to the center but an offset point internally to the header (1/4" inside penetration).

Please see the attached snapshot if this can visualize my request.

The radial angle has to be parametric, in other words, I am creating a template as much as possible. please give some ideas about how can I accomplish this request, Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks easy to me.

Attach your file(s) here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather, 

Just to let you know that I tried the split command but I cannot delete the internal section.

Also, all the construction lines need to stay because if something is modified, everything will be updated.

Any suggestions are welcome. Regards

Message 5 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a quick look. I think it should be doable if I understood the request correctly. You can simply use Extrude -> Cut -> and select one of the circular profiles -> Through All.

Does it work for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi JD, I just tried your suggestion, I think you meant Sweep, Cut, but for this option, it doesn't accept the bends. Or in the other hand, Extrude, Cut, it doesn't work with bends either. I used the split option instead but it also cut the sketch line for the parameter Ang_rqd= 30 deg, since this is needed for any changes in the parameter. Maybe I'm doing too much in sketches, it should be like the pipe engagement to a fitting. Like in SW or threaded fittings. I still looking for a solution. But thanks for taking the time to look in this matter. I'm pretty sure that you can come up with another one. Regards, Sam

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Sam,

I see a number of problems with your model.  You are not fully constrained and you are using 3D sketches.  Your pendant tubes' axes are all in the same plane, so sketch them on your XY plane and constrain to the origin.  Fully constrained sketches are all black lines, i.e no green lines. Purple lines are projected lines and are constrained by their very nature.  I would redraw using your parameters, but instead terminate your sketched pendant paths at the location where you want them to terminate.  There is no need to extend the pendant center lines to the header center point, you can make the lines coincident to the header center point.  Once you have that sketch sorted you can make a plane centered between your two sketched headers and perpendicular to the pendant's sketched paths.  On that plane you can project your sketched pendant paths and sketch your tube profiles from those centers. You  can then use those two sketches to sweep each tube individually.Boiler.JPGBoiler2.JPG

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

SBean,

Thank you so much for your time in this matter. I think that is the best solution. I am going to try it. If you don't mind can you sent me your working file, for comparison and in case I am missing something? The reason I have 3D sketches was the idea to make part of the whole Assembly, but after looking at your suggestion I realize that it was the right way I should start it. I just have about a month learning Inventor. So I am looking for quick training by myself, but sometimes there is nothing close for I am looking so I posted for help and Here it is, Thanks to you so much.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Hi sbean, I am working in your solution, but I have a problem to make the lines constrain to the center of the circle. I drew a line from the center then I placed the angle, I trimmed the line at the required point, but if I change the angle the center of the angle becomes the breaking point. Can you show me what steps I am missing? Thanks

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I can tell you are new and learning, so i took it easy on you.  I have attached the file.  I would recommend changing the parameters from "Model Parameters to"User Parameters" by going to manage tab and selecting the parameter button.  Create user parameters at the bottom (you will have to change the name of the model parameters before creating the user parameters, and then re-dimension using new user parameters).  It will make it easier on you if you decide to go to a spreadsheet driven model.  Since it looks like you are going to make an assembly of your parts, I made the attached a multi body part that then can be turned into individual parts and an assembly.  Research multi body parts.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you so much sbean, after a little understanding I found that the constraint was perpendicular to the circle, and It worked out, but your input is much beyond my appreciation to understand my future intentions, you have read my mind. Excellent!

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Mr. sbean, You have saved it in version 2019 right I am working in Inventor 2018. can you save it in version 2018 as well? Thank you

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Sorry, but it would require a rebuild in an earlier version for you to see how it was built.  I suggest installing a newer version.

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

sbean, No Problem, Thank you, Anyway I got the idea and it seems to be working. I have more option that I need to incorporate on it, so I am in baby steps, like you already notice I am looking for some kind of template parametric iLogic modeling. I will post it later for your input to improve it if you don't mind. Regards, Sam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report