Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Professional" best practice for adding notations to a part

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
342 Views, 4 Replies

"Professional" best practice for adding notations to a part

I made a sketch from a 3:1 scale dwg by hand for practice, and approximated many of the dimensions to multiples of 3 to make my life easier (and have a better idea of ratios). I want to use it in my portfolio, so I want to make a note somewhere of my approximations. Should I put text into the sketch, or is there some iProperty?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Joseph,

There are quite a few ways to add notation to a part. You could use Engineer's Note. Right-click on any node if the browser -> Create Note. You will enter the Engineer Note environment where you can add mark-ups to a snapshot of the model. Or, you could simply add a text in the sketch. Or, you could use MBD/3DA (Annote -> Text or General Note). Or, you could use iProperties like you suggested. Or, you could use data management tool like Vault to manage the versioning and capture the change in the model.

As long as the process is repeatable and easy to understand by all parties, it is a good process to follow.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
Xun.Zhang

Hi, besides what've mentioned from Johnson, you can also try design share to add any annotation and share to others via Cloud service.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 4 of 5
kelly.young

@Anonymous if you are trying to create a text note and want to mention the drawing dimensions you can you the f(x) parameter addition.

TextNotations.png

When the model changes your note will update without having to go back in and edit it. It helps to name the parameters.

NamingParameters.png

Not sure if this was what you're looking for, hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 5
kelly.young

@Anonymous after re-reading the post I think that @johnsonshiue suggestion of adding an engineering note might be helpful.

You could always just create a text box and move it outside the page for an easy note keeping area.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report