Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Errors detected in the profile for this Feature" despite Sketch Doctor saying otherwise?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
drafting3QE6L
540 Views, 3 Replies

"Errors detected in the profile for this Feature" despite Sketch Doctor saying otherwise?

Customer wants a profile of an M16 Rifle laser cut into his product and provides a .eps file. I have since exported the .eps to .dxf through Illustrator and despite my tinkering, Inventor refuses to acknowledge the closed loop as valid.

The specific error is "Errors detected in the profile for this Feature. Edit the Sketch to fix the errors."

Sketch Doctor claims no issues, and I am able to use AutoCAD to put a hatch inside the profile. I will also need to scale the profile non-uniformly and the only way I know of how to do that is through AutoCAD.

The profile comes from a stock image website and perhaps they export a different file extension that would work better than .eps.

What would be the best approach to this issue?

I have attached the .eps but for unknown reasons the Forums is not letting me upload the .dxf, so I am attaching the .dwg save of that same file.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi! This kind of shape is indeed difficult. Inventor is a precise modeler. Anything that cannot be properly dimensioned will have trouble modeling in Inventor.

Did you import the dwg/dxf to Inventor or you use DWG Underlay workflow? Please share the ipt file here. There might be alternative workflows to help make it work. It is also possible you may need AutoCAD to help edit the curves (SPLINEDIT or PDEDIT).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4

I do not even know what DWG Underlay is, so I shall investigate that option. I have done a lot of noodling around with blocks in both AutoCAD and Inventor. There was another logo that was much more geometric and playing around with blocks was how I was able to get it to work.

I suppose if all else fails I could brute force it by tracing the profile with a sketch and imported image

Message 4 of 4

In the end, I inserted the profile as an image and traced around the edge with arcs and lines. It worked so well I wish I did that from the start.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report