Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about hierarchies in windows explorer

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wancrum
309 Views, 4 Replies

Question about hierarchies in windows explorer

Hi all,

I have a question about hierarchies in Windows Explorer. I am using Inventor 2016. I am trying to construct tables for my job and these tables often use the same parts. Some are the exact same size from table to table, like a corner brace, while others vary in lengths like a skirt. My question is if I (save as) a part from one file into another table's folder what constrains the dimensions in that particular part file version to the new assembly? The problem I am having is that once a part is changed to make a new table it automatically updates a previous table in another folder. Do I have to save as and give the part a specific name each time I do a new assembly? Thanks for any help with this.  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wancrum
in reply to: wancrum

More attachments.

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr

@wancrum wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question about hierarchies in Windows Explorer. I am using Inventor 2016. I am trying to construct tables for my job and these tables often use the same parts. Some are the exact same size from table to table, like a corner brace, while others vary in lengths like a skirt. My question is if I (save as) a part from one file into another table's folder what constrains the dimensions in that particular part file version to the new assembly? The problem I am having is that once a part is changed to make a new table it automatically updates a previous table in another folder. Do I have to save as and give the part a specific name each time I do a new assembly? Thanks for any help with this.  

Welcome to Inventor..

Yes.. A part is a single file and an assembly simply links to those files and does not consume or include them in itself..

As such when you modify a part its going to change anywhere that part is used.. As it should..

So yes.. save copy as is the first way..

There is also some productivity tools called save and replace component and many other things..

In fact getting some training would really help as its hard to provide all that here over the internet..

One can talk for hours about how/what you should know,etc..

I would highly suggest you look into iparts/iassemblies too..

That allows a single "factory" file and you create multiple "like" versions of the same part..

iparts

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

iassemblies

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016...

There are other techniques too but I always like to see people start with those tools first and then move on to skeletal/multi-body models to quickly drive a whole new table and components from just editing a few parameters in one file..

Or ilogic

Or icopy

or various other methods 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
Mark.Lancaster

@wancrum

Welcome to the community..

If you are using the same file across different table models..  When you change that file it changes where ever its made.   Windows Explorer has nothing to do with it.  Its all based on your Inventor project folder.  IF you have common parts.  Create a library definition in your project file and put them in a common location.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 5
wancrum
in reply to: mcgyvr

Okay thanks. I am looking into iparts now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report