Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

projecting geometry and still using the position view rep

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
353 Views, 4 Replies

projecting geometry and still using the position view rep

hi there again

I must be doing this all the wrong way but anyhow.... I have a box that has a door with a handle on it, the postition of the handle is projected onto the door from the shaft that sits inside box ( when the door is closed ). if I move the shaft around then all is good ( the handle moves accordingly ).

But now when I want to make a position view representation of the box with the door open, for drawing purposes, then I get the "cross part association has failed error" and thats because it cant project onto the surface because its facing a different direction. I dont want to break link because I stil might change the position of the shaft. 

Question is ... how do I do that.

Anyone one know why black projected lines of objects, like holes and flanges, like to come through just by moving the mouse over them when creating sketches. Normally they just show as red and dissappear when the mouse is off that part.

One last thing which I never understand is why I have to remove associativity of a part connected to another part in an assembly before I can change its visibility. The part is in no way adaptive. its just a separate part mated onto a separate part.

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi stephenson513,

So if I followed your comments correctly, then the door is adaptive since it contains a cutout for the handle using the cross part projected geometry. I think what you'll need to do is toggle off the adaptivity of the door once the cutout is located properly. Then I think you can use the Positional Representation. If you need to adjust the cutout postion later, set the Master positional representation active, and then toggle the adaptivity of the door back on.

I'm going from memory, so I might very well be recalling in correctly, but I would try to toggle off the adaptivity.

You might also try using the Copy Object workflow to create the cross part relationship. If you look at this link you'll see that workflow in action. Rusty Belcher's video found toward the bottom shows this quite well:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/find-interference-and-add-tolerance-to.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

hey thanks for getting back to me,

I always thought that when you turned off adaptivity, you couldnt turn it back on....hmmm I gotta try it out then, that would solve it all.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Without seeing an example, I cannot say it for sure. But, I don't think Positional Representation allows change in geometry. PosRep assumes all components' geometry is fixed and only the position can be changed. Whether or not the component is adaptive does not really matter here.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Turning adaptivity off works perfect and everything still works when I turn it back on : )

Thanks

Any answers to the other questions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report