Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Entire Feature but NOT Adaptive?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
phlyx
331 Views, 3 Replies

Project Entire Feature but NOT Adaptive?

Out of the box Inventor allows you to project between parts in an assembly and they are normally adaptive.  If there is an entire surface with all features we want to project, we can, but it comes in adaptive. 

2021-08-10_101938.jpg

When we turn off Cross Part Geometry Projection in App Options/Assembly, when we project, sketch features are never adaptive.  We do NOT use adaptivity as we have too many issues the way our model/project structure is.  We can project individual lines and curves and they are not adaptive.  The question is, how can we project an entire surface with all features between parts in an assembly but have it NOT be adaptive????

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: phlyx

Can you Attach the assembly and two parts here for testing?

I thought it was easy to break the Adaptivity after projecting, but I could be wrong.

I would have to make up an example for testing.

(Actually - I thought I might add a note to this that I don't know the answer to ANY of these questions - I make up an example (if the OP doesn't Attach example) and do some testing.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather wrote:

I thought it was easy to break the Adaptivity after projecting, but I could be wrong.

You are right, but that may be a solution that @phlyx either hasn't considered, or has considered and doesn't like for some reason.  The way I read the original post, he was looking for a way to have it project initially without Adaptivity.  

@phlyx, have you tried letting it project Adaptively and just breaking the Adaptive reference after the fact?  If so, are you just looking for a more streamlined way of getting what you want, or did that not work for some other reason?

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: phlyx

Hi Scott,

I think you just answered your own question already. Go to Tools -> App Options -> Assembly -> uncheck both "Cross-part projection" options.

Another way to do it is to use Copy Object workflow but uncheck Associative option. Once the body is copied, project the edges to the sketch accordingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report