Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project DWG Geometry Issues

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2143 Views, 9 Replies

Project DWG Geometry Issues

Hello,

I have imported a DWG file in to Autodesk Inventor Professional 2017 successfully, however, when I create a sketch and Project DWG Geometry using the Project Connected Geometry tool on the Mini-Toolbar, inventor crashes/does not respond.

Is anyone else having this issue? And if so, is there a fix or solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

When you say it crashes, Inventor crashes out or in the sense its locked up?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Could you share the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Inventor becomes unresponsive/locks up. Eventually, I have to force close the programme.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue

Sorry, I cannot send you the file but I can tell you It's original format was a .dxf that I converted to .dwg via Autocad. I then import the .dwg into inventor.

I have created and attached a screencast to show you the process by which this problem occurs. Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind regards.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Message 7 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess the source geometry in dwg might be degenerated or problematic. Could you try editing the dwg file and smooth the curves in that area?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 10
kelly.young

@Anonymous, @Anonymous did you figure out a good way to bring in your .dwg for use?

When you first select the file you get a dialog that pops up stating:

"The file into which you are placing this component has not been saved. This may cause problems in resolving links between the files."

Have you tried saving the file prior to eliminate this message?

There is also another message that comes up:

"The location of the selected file is not in the search path of the active project file. To avoid this message, create or activate a project file that contains this folder in the search path before opening. You can also move the file to a folder contained in the current project search path."

Have you tried using a properly mapped project?

These would be the first two things I would inspect to ensure smoother functioning of the program. I can't say that this is the cause, but once you have taken those out of the equation, the next thing would be to inspect the .dwg. 

Another way you could try is to Sketch > Insert > ACAD instead. 

SketchInsertDWG.png

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

@kelly.young

@johnsonshiue

Sorry for the very late reply.

As you both stated, the problem stemmed from the original .dwg file being erroneous.

Thank you both for your time and solutions.

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Andrew,

You are more than welcome! 

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report