Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting parts using constrain and joint function!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
424 Views, 7 Replies

Problems connecting parts using constrain and joint function!

Hi! I'm new to Inventor and having some problems connecting some parts.

I have attached a photo of what I have done so far, consisting of 12 triangles with hinges on the sides and pins to have in the hinges. So far I have connected the parts using "Assemble - Constrain - Insert", I have also tried "Assemble - Constrain - Angle" and the "Joint"-function.

The problem is with the selected triangle, I only manage to connect one side of it, and I can't manage to connect it to the first triangle without it "jumping" off the one it's connected to now. What I want is to connect the triangles together like the upper part (which have the same problem when I move it around), and then be able to move it so that I create different angles between the triangles, if that made sense?

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can manage to do this? Connect the triangles (with pins between them) and be able to change the angles afterwards? In other words, basically make these triangles work as normal hinges?

As I'm new to Inventor, please try to use simple explanations. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

You should always have one part in an assembly Grounded.

Can you attach one of your ipt parts here?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Oh, I haven't grounded any of them, I'll try to do that.

Here is the .ipt file of the triangle.

Message 4 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

I recommend that you install the Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor.

I notice that you did not allow any clearance for the parts - it is not possible to manufacture perfect parts - so you should consider realistic clearance.

If you are going to 3D print these parts - allow extra clearance as 3D printing is not a precise process.

I would change the way you modeled the part - back in a few minutes with an improved model....

Message 5 of 8

Examine the attached part.

Note how I used Shell rather than multiple Extrusions.

Note the simplicity of Sketch1.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Wow! Thank you so much, it's perfect! 😄 

So by using Shell instead of the Extrusions and also allowing the space between the triangles, it worked using Constrain - Insert?

Then I can try to connect the last parts, using the modified .ipt-file and maybe get to print it on Monday 🙂

I will try to install the Service Packs and Updates as well.

Message 7 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous.cummins wrote:

...Then I can try to connect the last parts, using the modified .ipt-file and maybe get to print it on Monday .

Caution:  I did not include enough clearance in Sketch2 for 3D printing,  you should increase the clearance (you would also need to edit the Insert Offset distance to match.

Are you using metal pins or printed pins?

Either way - increase the diameter of the holes to allow clearance to the pin size.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, then I will do that!

Thank you again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report