Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With 2D Arcs INCLUDED in 3D Geometry (AI 2018)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
PatrickMacMahon
444 Views, 5 Replies

Problem With 2D Arcs INCLUDED in 3D Geometry (AI 2018)

Hello,

When creating a Part, if I "INCLUDE" an Arc from a previous 2D sketch into a 3D sketch it dislocates when other lines, arcs or splines are attached.  The extent of the dislocation varies and cannot be corrected. 

The only way to solve this is to create a "CENTER POINT ARC" within the 3D sketch based on points from the 2D original.

Then a new problem emerges. 

Within the 3D sketch, it is no longer possible to create a perpendicular "PLANE WORK FEATURE" on the Arc referenced from a "POINT WORK FEATURE".  

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: PatrickMacMahon

patrickmm wrote: 

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you attach your *.ipt file here and a bit of information about your Design Intent?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6

Hi Patrick,

Like JD indicated, it is better to have the part file here so forum experts can comment further. The behavior is probably related to how the arc is oriented and the degree of freedom available in the arc. You can still create work features within 3D sketch environment. You just need to go to 3D Model tab. The commands used to be available in 3D Sketch panel also but we consolidated them in 3D Model tab now.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the response.  As requested please find a Part File example and a brief PDF description attached.

Message 5 of 6
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: PatrickMacMahon

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the data, it's a problem indeed and a new ticket was submitted to track it down.

Here is a workaround, Delete the projection constraint and add three "Fix" constrain to the projected spline for Start, End and the line. Now when set "Perpendicular constraint" and the result is desired.

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 6 of 6
PatrickMacMahon
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Thank you very much.  I think there is another issue related to affixing work features to the projected arc. 

However I am on a bit of a schedule here and I can work through this now.

Will try and have the descriptor ready in the next day or so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report