Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Creating a flat Pattern from Sheet Metal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
351 Views, 5 Replies

Problem Creating a flat Pattern from Sheet Metal

I am designing external louvers for a job in London, the profile as requested by the architect is made up of 3 parts. These 3 parts will then be cut from Ali sheet and welded together.

So far i have successfully completed 71/72 of the sheets but typically the last one will not create a flat pattern.

The process:

I am sweeping the 3 part profile through a radius and then trimming the ends, I then split the sheet in 2 parts (for manufacturing purposes) and then delete all other faces to leave a single part at a time, then creating a flat pattern, in essence for the part file attached, there will be 6 items all together.

Like i said, this process has worked for 71/72 sheets but refuses to create a flat pattern for this one particular item.

I have attached the part file and also one of the parts as a single item.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anthony

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I would use the Sheet Metal tools to model the part.

I would dimension the first sketch.

I would set the Sheet Metal Thickness to the same as the part (actually, if the sheet metal tools had been used this would have already been set by default).

I do not see where you have even converted this to sheet metal?

Did you attach the correct file?

Also, iProperties indicates that you have not installed the Service Packs for 2016.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

See attached part 1 converted to sheet metal.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

The last part that you attached is not converted to sheet metal.

Did you attach the correct part file - that looks like the same one attached previously?

Can you attach one of your parts that did return Flat Pattern?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

See attached all 3 components, all successfully converted to flat pattern.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...See attached part 1 converted to sheet metal.

In Post #3 you made this statement.

But when I open the file and compare to one you attached that did work - I do not see the icon for a sheet metal part.

This might seem like a minor issue, but this is on top of the previously mentioned issues.

In my experience a structured modeling technique with better attention to detail usually returns expected results.

Sheet Metal or Standard.png

So I start to examine how this design would be done with the Sheet Metal tools in Inventor.

But as I start from scratch - when I examine one of the parts that "did work" - I observe that there are no dimensions in Sketch1?

If I dimension some of the geometry - I observe that the dimension is "perfect".  How does this happen?  Was there a dimension that was deleted?  If so, why?

No Dimensions.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report