Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Printing 2d sketch with Text 1:1 scale

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
832 Views, 11 Replies

Printing 2d sketch with Text 1:1 scale

I am trying to print a 2d Sketch i made with a few holes and text to use as a template, i wanted to print this  on a 1:1 scale. The issue i am having is when i go to place on a assembly file it does not appear...I am able to do an extrusion on the sketch and then i am to place the object but  the issue now is  the text has vanished once the extrusion is done. Is there anyway i am able to print the 2d sketch with the text visible to paper on a 1:1 scale?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there anyway i am able to print the 2d sketch with the text visible to paper on a 1:1 scale?

Simply create a new idw (drawing).. Create a base view of the ipt file that contains the 2d sketch at 1:1 scale.. 

Then print the drawing at 1:1 scale.

If the sketch does not show in the drawing simply expand the view in the drawing browser and right click on the ipt and select "get model sketches"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I Made the new idw and created the base view at a 1:1 scale. The base view showed nothing still and even after going to the drawing folder and clicking on get model sketches it is still not viewable. I tried creating a sketch on the new idw file to insert the file that way but the same issue occurs. I am however able to open an unedited version of the idw file i have and place it fine except that is does not show as a 1:1 scale. Is it possible to place the unedited file as a 1:1 somehow? I was not given any options under the (Layers and Objects import options) before placing.

Message 4 of 12
CGBenner

@Anonymous 

Following @mcgyvr suggestion, as you tried, after selecting Get Model Sketches, expand the part file until you see the actual sketch in your browser, then right click on that and select "Include".  Does that get the sketch to show up in your .idw?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager ā€“ Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: CGBenner

I tried again and also selected include this time but it still has the same results. If i make an extrusion on my 2d sketch and follow the same steps it works fine except that all on my text on the sketch will be gone. Is it possible i am missing a step prior to placing my .ipt base view?

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried again and also selected include this time but it still has the same results. If i make an extrusion on my 2d sketch and follow the same steps it works fine except that all on my text on the sketch will be gone. Is it possible i am missing a step prior to placing my .ipt base view?

@Anonymous  Please post your ipt file with the sketches.. (if you cannot share the exact file for confidentiality please create a sample that has the same type of geometry/text in it just not confidential)

Yes there is some detail thats being left out or missed here..

Also please post the version of Inventor you are using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Here is the .ipt

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I am also using  Inventor 2021

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess there is a bit of confusion on the terminology. Are you trying to make the sketch visible after creating the extrusion? If yes, it is pretty simple. You just need to right-click on the sketch -> check Visible or check Shared.

Either way the text sketch will be visible. Inventor sketch text is like a special object. If you want geometry out of the text, you can simply convert it to geometry. Edit the sketch -> right-click on the text -> select the font -> Convert to Geometry. The text will be converted to lines.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Even after checking visible it still does not show. what i am trying to do is take make 2d sketch with the text and place it in a .dwg on a 1:1 scale to print. When ever i go to place the base view it is invisible even after clicking on get model sketches... I have never had this issue but this is also a first for using text on a sketch 

Message 11 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous  Works just fine..

You just need to ensure that your base view is of the "Top" plane... 
"Front" is default and likely what you were trying to use which won't show anything because there is nothing in that plane.

Simply select "Top" on the in canvas view cube during base view placement.

Top.PNG

and voila..

FrontPanel.PNG

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Yes that worked , I figured i may have been overlooking something as simple as that. Thankyou for your help with this!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report