Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with decal

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
syr7D4VN
993 Views, 5 Replies

Please help with decal

One of my students has produced this car and wants to add a decal to the other side. I can't select the opposite surface. Any help would be greatly appreciated as other students are getting to this stage also. 

same decal, other side of car. 

Please ignore obvious errors, will deal with them later.

Cheers

Glen

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
S_May
in reply to: syr7D4VN

Message 3 of 6
jhackney1972

Right click on the edge of the in question workplace and select "Flip Normal".  The Decal will work after that.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
3D4Play

I can select the mirrored face, by checking the "wrap to face" option. However, this isn't the issue. You need to flip the normal plane of Workplane 4. Select the workplane 4, right-click, select "flip normal". This will (should) flip the image "upside down" relative to the other image. Edit the sketch to rotate the image so it's oriented as desired, finish the sketch and execute the decal command again. It will work. Currently, the sketch plane is normal towards the inside of the  part, so the decal isn't visible on the outside face. Flipping the normal plane so it's towards the outside of the part fixes this, and also allows you to select the face you want. I don't know, but I suspect that - buried deep inside the decal command - Inventor sees that you are trying to place a decal on the inside face, rather than the outside face, if that makes sense. It might even be working, you just cant see it! 😉

Message 5 of 6
syr7D4VN
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you extremely, for ending several days of frustration.!!!

Worked perfectly. 

Cheers

Glen

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

You're a HERO!! I was having the exact same issue and after an hour of trial and error was no closer to figuring it out.  Read this and it worked first try. Thank you for the help and for saving me countless hours of frustration!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report