Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Anzeigen  nur  | Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du: 

please dont tell me this is still true :(

18 ANTWORTEN 18
GELÖST
Antworten
Nachricht 1 von 19
Anonymous
719 Aufrufe, 18 Antworten

please dont tell me this is still true :(

I came across a "shortcut" in a blog last night and its all about......rotating your model WITHOUT a) having to buy a space mouse to occupy space next to your keyboard and consume your left hand or b) having to constantly pick up the drawings on your desk/keyboard to find the shift button

Seriously? Inventor REQUIRES keyboard input in order to rotate without having to select orbit? what an albatross around your neck. yeah the guy mentioned that F4 could be substituted but that isnt much of a fix.

I must be spoiled from CATIA because with just a $5 wired mouse you could pan (right mouse button) zoom (middle scroll wheel) or rotate (right button + middle scroll wheel) and it was fast and easy. I would have engineers come on board and say "what?!?! no spacemouse?!?! Im not using this" and after an introduction to the basics they found they didnt need one.

Has inventor accommodated such changes to be able to remap how rotation works? I dont have the best eyesight and often have drawings cluttering my desk and having to dedicate my left hand to the shift key for a function that is used constantly would be a heavy ball and chain around my ankle.

18 ANTWORTEN 18
Nachricht 2 von 19
Frederick_Law
als Antwort auf: Anonymous

Long long time ago, Inventor use middle mouse button to rotate model.

Some genius decided to remove it.

Nachricht 3 von 19
Anonymous
als Antwort auf: Frederick_Law

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Long long time ago, Inventor use middle mouse button to rotate model.

Some genius decided to remove it.

thats lame...then again, this is the cheapest, most limited CAD system....not the most expensive and comprehensive which noone other than huge companies can afford. it just sucks that so many things are the way they are because its easiest for the coders to develop and get to the market before deadlines than a thorough deep dive into what works best for the user base.

Nachricht 4 von 19
Frederick_Law

@Anonymous wrote:

thats lame...then again, this is the cheapest, most limited CAD system....not the most expensive and comprehensive which noone other than huge companies can afford. it just sucks that so many things are the way they are because its easiest for the coders to develop and get to the market before deadlines than a thorough deep dive into what works best for the user base.

I'll still use Inventor instead of SW.

The 3D mouse helps a lot.

Another thing is, I can pan and rotate with touch screen in SW but not in IV.

Nachricht 5 von 19
Anonymous

@Frederick_Law wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll still use Inventor instead of SW.

The 3D mouse helps a lot.

Another thing is, I can pan and rotate with touch screen in SW but not in IV.

I used to have an IBM spaceball in my shed somewhere. it got tossed with my 43P140 RS6000. it still sucks that you have to spend $$ when you shouldnt have to in order to function properly

Nachricht 6 von 19
Frederick_Law

As least IV don't need a 15 button mouse.

Nachricht 7 von 19
JDMather

I am spoiled.

Be Prepared Too.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Nachricht 8 von 19
Frederick_Law
als Antwort auf: JDMather

Don't carry that to the airport.

Nachricht 9 von 19
Anonymous

@Frederick_Law wrote:

As least IV don't need a 15 button mouse.

i kind of miss my humongous digitizer tablet with 50 buttons and programmable sections. The drummer from Def Leppard could easily use Autocad with it

Nachricht 10 von 19
Anonymous

@JDMather wrote:

I am spoiled.

Be Prepared Too.jpg

i spy with my little eye the V5 gradient background!

Nachricht 11 von 19
Anonymous

@JDMather wrote:

I am spoiled.

Be Prepared Too.jpg

oh, now I get it....let me guess, you also have some large cases with 24 laptops so you can set up a training environment without depending on your customers resources. Good job....i really miss teaching.

Nachricht 12 von 19
Frederick_Law

I wanted one but never got around to buy one.

Then IV is released.

No more keyboard shortcuts.

With IV, I don't need the keyboard for commands anymore.

I can put most commands in marking menu.

Nachricht 13 von 19
Frederick_Law

Kinda missed my T-Square.....

Nachricht 14 von 19
Anonymous

@Frederick_Law wrote:

I wanted one but never got around to buy one.

Then IV is released.

No more keyboard shortcuts.

With IV, I don't need the keyboard for commands anymore.

I can put most commands in marking menu.

its been 35 years since i first used a CAD system (CADKey in '85) and I marvel at what is capable today.....generative design via fusion looks promising but its still in its larval stage. Imagine another 50 years from now? It will be like Tony Stark's CAD system

Nachricht 15 von 19
Frederick_Law

@Anonymous wrote:

its been 35 years since i first used a CAD system (CADKey in '85) and I marvel at what is capable today.....generative design via fusion looks promising but its still in its larval stage. Imagine another 50 years from now? It will be like Tony Stark's CAD system

VR is coming.  Holographic is developing.

Gesture control is gaining speed.

It started with swap left, swap right Smiley (Zunge)

Nachricht 16 von 19
Anonymous

@Frederick_Law wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

VR is coming.  Holographic is developing.

Gesture control is gaining speed.

It started with swap left, swap right Smiley (Zunge)

I am most interested in AI....between quantum computing and AI, the next several decades are going to see as much difference between how we work then and between now as it is how we work now compared to the 1940s. HUGE changes coming down the pipeline....just youtube search for any one of the TED talks on upcoming technology.

in the mean time, we still have a lot of stuff to build

Nachricht 17 von 19
ToddHarris7556

Back when I was managing design teams in a production environment (mostly doing process plant, pressure vessel and structural steel design) I found there were two major quantum leaps in productivity that designers could make:

1) keyboard shortcuts/command aliases: veterans would hone their custom acad.pgp files meticulously, and laugh at the junior designers that were still hunting for icons on the digitizer, or later, menu clicking. It was an order of magnitude increase in speed to be able to accomplish with a single keystroke and your thumb on the spacebar vs mousing.

2) 3d mouse: This offered a similar leap in speed: navigate with your left hand, operate with your right. Additional side benefit was that any function you could take away from the right hand resulted in a direct decrease in RSI/carpal tunnel issues. Essentially balancing efforts between right and left meant less strain on the right / primary hand. (No disrespect intended toward lefties)

The next big leap will be the VR/AR shift... and it ought to be fascinating. 

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Nachricht 18 von 19
The_Angry_Elf

Yeah, but do those all fit in your AU Tesla?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Nachricht 19 von 19
Anonymous
als Antwort auf: ToddHarris7556

@ToddHarris7556 wrote:

Back when I was managing design teams in a production environment (mostly doing process plant, pressure vessel and structural steel design) I found there were two major quantum leaps in productivity that designers could make:

1) keyboard shortcuts/command aliases: veterans would hone their custom acad.pgp files meticulously, and laugh at the junior designers that were still hunting for icons on the digitizer, or later, menu clicking. It was an order of magnitude increase in speed to be able to accomplish with a single keystroke and your thumb on the spacebar vs mousing.

2) 3d mouse: This offered a similar leap in speed: navigate with your left hand, operate with your right. Additional side benefit was that any function you could take away from the right hand resulted in a direct decrease in RSI/carpal tunnel issues. Essentially balancing efforts between right and left meant less strain on the right / primary hand. (No disrespect intended toward lefties)

The next big leap will be the VR/AR shift... and it ought to be fascinating. 

I have parkinsons so I avoid left hand usage as much as I can. Its ok if its just petting a cat but gets **** frustrating when accidentally selecting keys next to the key i wanted to select.

I agree with you about keyboard shortcuts. When using CATIA V5, there can often be some sort of corruption in a users settings and the fastest way to restore functionality is to restore default settings, one user freaked out because he invested so much time in customizing keyboard shortcuts, I just had to show him how to preserve those while resetting the rest. This was a young guy fresh out of school though, the old contractors were used to plodding along like they always have.

Sie finden nicht, was Sie suchen? Fragen Sie die Community oder teilen Sie Ihr Wissen mit anderen.

In Foren veröffentlichen  

Autodesk Design & Make Report