Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Weld Visual Feature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
btomosonEYBLL
547 Views, 7 Replies

Plastic Weld Visual Feature

It is common in our process to weld two plastic extrusions together and then trim the remaining material from the surface. This creates a weld line along the entire edge of the extrusion. How would I show this feature in Inventor even if it was just cosmetic?

I have attached pictures showing this weld line on parts.

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
andrewiv
in reply to: btomosonEYBLL

Have you looked into using weldments?  It is a subset of the assembly file type.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 8
btomosonEYBLL
in reply to: andrewiv

@andrewiv  I have looked at the weldment tool but was unable to get a continuous weld along the whole profile. Inventor doesn't seem to like welding two flush faces that form a loop.

Message 4 of 8
andrewiv

The cosmetic weld feature should do what you're looking for.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 5 of 8
btomosonEYBLL

@andrewiv  From what I can tell, the cosmetic weld just creates an orange line around the outside edge. It has no physical geometry/thickness that can be seen or appearance edited. I need something that can be annotated and is physically present in the assembly.

Message 6 of 8
andrewiv

It can be annotated.  You can create a weld symbol when you create the cosmetic weld.  And in your original post you said "How would I show this feature in Inventor even if it was just cosmetic?" that is why I though that a cosmetic weld would work for you.  If you need an actual physical weld, then you will need to do some extra work to cut out material in the preparation so that you can use the groove weld to achieve what you want.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 8
btomosonEYBLL

I should clarify, by cosmetic I meant that it doesn't have to affect the structure or physically be welded but I need to actually see material there and not an orange line. A weld symbol annotation doesn't help either as it is not for instructions on what to weld. I would like to show a lip in drawings that can be dimensioned or a face that can be edited in the assembly.

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

Attach example assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report