Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planes and sketches

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
479 Views, 8 Replies

planes and sketches

I've been using inventor oh for about 2 years give or take now and I'm currently using 2018, but why does inventor insist on turning on planes and sketches every time you open up a large assembly or any assembly, and model? I find this most perplexing as it can take me an hour to turn them all off. Now I know there is a way to turn them all off but that has it down falls too as when you go into another section of the assembly and come back out THEY ALL TURN ON it's like they multiply!! Couldn't we just have models, assemblies open up with these off all the time and we turn on what we want? I know they are off when I save the model and or assembly as I've spent a ton of time going through the model day in and day out turning them off just to have them come back and HAUNT me.

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

This topic has a couple of opinions.  Some just like to turn the visibility off.  I personally like to just use the out of the box hotkeys shown below.

I am so used to these hot keys they come naturae and they turn off EVERYTHING.

planes.jpgplanes1.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I understand that ( and tried it and didn't like) but why have them come on at all it's so aggravating that they come on when you know you turned them off. So to me turning off the whole lot does me no good when I know that when I come back into it they multiply worse than rabbits.

Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto

Personal choice if you don't like the hotkeys.  While I find myself turning them off most of the time, they are on for the times you do need them.  For assemblies they can be bothersome except if you are skeletal modeling.  Then you are going to want them on.  In my opinion.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Does this not do what you want?Visibility.jpg

Message 6 of 9
SBix26

There's something different in your workflow compared to mine, because I never have this problem.  I, too, want to have my assembly uncluttered by work features and origin features, and that's the way it always is.  My templates have the origin features invisible, and when I create work features, I turn their visibility off as soon as I can.  All parts are saved with work features invisible.

When you open individual components of your assembly, are the planes, axes, and points visible?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2018.2.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 7 of 9
PaulMunford

The part is the definition. In the assembly is the occurance. If the sketches and workplanes are visible in the part they will be visible in the Assembly.

You can turn off the visibility in the assembly, but this is an override. The next time you insert the part the sketches and workplanes will be visible again.

So - if you always make sure that all sketches and workfeatures are turned off in the part before you insert the part into an assembly, you shouldn't have any suprises.

If you want to make a workfeatures visible, you can, and this will be an override in the assembly and won't effect the parts.

Does that help?

P.S. an in-place edit won't work. You'll need to open each part file individually to turn off workfeatures and regain control!

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe the behavior your are seeing is due to the fact that those work features are in the individual parts and they are not turned off. When you turn them off, you did not do it in the parts themselves. You turn them off in the assembly. If you don't want to see them when placing the parts into the assembly, you will need to turn them off in the parts. Open the part and go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck Work features. Or, you can make them invisible individually.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Good Morning Johnson,

I turn everything off before I save in the part. If they show up in the assembly I click down to the part file and turn off yet again. but I'll look into the other way.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report