Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing shims around a Helix

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rdcress
628 Views, 6 Replies

Placing shims around a Helix

I'm trying to place 3 rows of spacers along a helix and am at a loss as to how to attach them and have them align with the surface of the helix in rows 120 degrees apart.Capture.JPG 

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: rdcress

Post your parts here along with what version of Inventor you're using.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect you may need to create work features in the coil part to help position.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
rdcress

Here are the helix part and the shim (wedge) part.

Inventor 2021.0.1  64 bit

Message 5 of 7
rdcress
in reply to: SBix26

Helix and shim (wedge) parts uploaded.

Inventor 2021.0.1

64Bit version

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

Here's one way to do the job (Inventor 2021 format), using features added to the helical part to help with placement:

SBix26_0-1611861509353.png

I created a 3D sketch for the path to array one "row", then made a pattern of workpoints.  In the assembly, I constrained one shim using only origin features, then patterned it using the workpoint pattern from the helical part.

I'm sure this isn't exactly what you wanted, since I don't know the spacing you have in mind.  But it should give you some ideas.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7
rdcress
in reply to: SBix26

That gives me some material to work with.  The shims have to align with the helix pitch and are brazed side by side on each turn so that every wrap is supported in three places each 120 degrees apart. It ends up taking around 300 or so shims on every helix.   I'll take your suggestion and work with it as a starting point.  Sometimes it just takes a place to start.  Thanks for your input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report