Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF layers and part visibility

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
simon.depauwTUS3F
276 Views, 3 Replies

PDF layers and part visibility

Hi all,

Is there a way to export views to PDF as layer, I use Adobe Acrobat DC.

I already know about layers and selecting parts as edges (as described here: https://resources.imaginit.com/inventor/creating-different-layers-in-an-inventor-drawing-and-exporti...), but this treats the drawing as 2D and also removes lines of other parts behind that said part.

For example: I want to make one drawing with all standard machine options and I want to be able to select and unselect certain options. (like you can do in the 3D view with the view representations, or like you can do in 2D when making a part invisible.)

I hope my question is clear, thank you for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Do view reps not do what you are looking for? I notice you mentioned view reps in the 3D view but just to check, you know you can use those view reps in your drawing views right?

If you want to have one view that you can toggle between view reps in a PDF then nothing 'out of the box' will do that for you, you will have to come up with something a bit hacky like overlaying multiple views and setting each one to it's own layer or something like that. 

Message 3 of 4

Yes, I've considered view reps. It's not what I'm looking for. It seems like I have to do something wonky like setting view reps to layers.

Message 4 of 4

Hi Simon,

While Inventor does not offer such layer specific pdf export workflows, AutoCAD may support it. You could save Inventor idw file as an Inventor dwg file (or export it to AutoCAD dwg). Then open it in AutoCAD and export to PDF (make sure layer info is included).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report