Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern of multiple cut extrude features

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mateo.vugrinec
190 Views, 4 Replies

Pattern of multiple cut extrude features

Hi,

I have a problem when using pattern of multiple cut extrude features. (see picture below)

Every geometry change take very long time to process.

If I use rectangular pattern in sketch and then punch tool, would that speed it up?

Is there any other way to speed it up?

Thanks in advance.

sito.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi mateo,

Could we see your model tree for these features? I'm wondering what you mean by multiple cut extrude features (if you are doind 1 feature for multiple cuts, or multiple features for multiple cuts).

-have you closed other applications whilst working with this model?

-insetad of working directly with solids, you could try lofting a surface, using the trim tool on the surface to insert your cut pattern, and then using the thicken tool on the surface (which could yield different results at the edges of your part, I'm not sure)

JH

Message 3 of 5

there might be a performance difference when using sketch patterns vs feature patterns, but i don't think it will actually help.

you could surpress the pattern (in another model state?) or you could create a derived part and supress the link.

but ideally, you would not use the pattern at all, maybe have just a bounding box or a start position for the pattern?

Message 4 of 5

Hi!

In all cad systems, when you have lots of holes, slots, etc (patterned or not) (even in Autocad) it will slow down the system significantly.

Tip: Suppress these features to work in the part or on the assembly, and unsuppress it only when you really needed (at final for documenting, etc)

Tip: This is a really good case to use MODEL STATES: one model state with suppressed pattern features active to work in 3D, and a model state with unsuppressed pattern features to select in the 2D document views.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Hi Mateo - 

Including that much detail in your model will definitely impact the performance computing and displaying the part.

Suppressing the pattern or using a textured appearance in place of the pattern are two options you can consider as long as you don't need an accurate mass calculation.

Sketch pattern will be slower than feature pattern.

Also try the "Optimized" pattern compute option which will be much faster but only works for some situations.

OptimizedPattern02.png

Hope that helps!

T.0.M.

Tom Sturtevant
Inventor Part Modeling Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report