Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts list view representation quantities

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
DavidTunnard
1161 Views, 5 Replies

Parts list view representation quantities

Hi all,

Can anyone help me set up my parts list. Im using View representation and LoD in my main assembly. This can be switched between 2 different assemblies. However when I reference a parts list in the drawing to an assebly it references the total quantity.

ie. Master assembly shows 3, assembly A uses 1, Assembly B uses 2. The parts list references Assembly B, but shows 3 as the quantity.

Any help appreciated,

David

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
swalton
in reply to: DavidTunnard

Autodesk did not design LODs as a configuration tool.  Instead LODs are used for memory management to help users work on very large datasets.  It's confusing because other CAD tools use the "Suppress" command as a way to build configurations.

I would strongly suggest rethinking your modeling/design/documentation strategy to eliminate LODs. 

Drawing Parts Lists can be filtered by Design View Reps.  There is an option to adjust the item count to match the number of items visible in the Design View Rep.

Another choice is to build an iAssembly.  These work best for modeling a known set of configurations that will not change once the design is complete.  Think library components with a few variations, not a basic design that gets customized for each new customer.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr

LOD = Not possible.. (This is really a memory management tool mostly due to RAM limitations in older computers.. Its not intended for drawing filtering/configuration aspects.) 

View Rep = Possible..

As stated edit the parts list. Select the "Filter Settings" button. Select the "Assembly View Representation" filter and pick the specific view rep you want to filter based on. Then select the "Limit QTY to visible components only" checkbox.

ViewRepFilter.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
DavidTunnard
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you both for you answers. 

The reason I use LoD was so that when I place the sub-assembly into another assembly or presentation file, I can chose which version I place. Would I be able to do this/does it work the same if only using view reps?

Thanks for the filter options answer. I could not see it before as I was was placing the separate assemblies in the drawing and referencing the parts lists individually to them. Doing this does not give you the 'limit QTY's...' option. You have to reference the parts list to the master assembly.

Really grateful for the help

Message 5 of 6
swalton

If Assembly-A and Assembly-B are well defined and may only change every few months/years in the future, I'd look at iAssemblies.  That way you can place either version in your upper level assemblies and change them as necessary.

If Assembly-A and Assembly-B are still in the design phase or change frequently, I'd model them as separate assemblies.  Changing from one to another is more difficult, but if you are careful with your constraints and start Assembly-B as a copy of Assembly-A, its not too bad.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 6
DavidTunnard
in reply to: swalton

Hi, I have never used iAssemblies. Do you know of any good guides on how to get started with it?

Thanks,

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report