Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts list says *VARIES*?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
5483 Views, 11 Replies

Parts list says *VARIES*?

This should be an easy one. I thought the reason to get varies in the description was if two parts had the same part number and different descriptions? Well, I am getting "Varies" in both description column and part number colun on one part. The two parts have different descriptions and part and file numbers. One was copied from the other to create it. Any way to get these two to show up as seperate line items and descriptions.
Thanks
Bill
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
andrewiv
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try doing a rebuild all?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Yes, I did, no change. I even deleted and reinserted the parts list.
Bill
Message 4 of 12
swalton

I had this happen before.

I had an assy with several instances of part A. I copied part A in Vault to generate part B. I replaced one or more, but not all, instances of A with B. My part list rolled up A and B together.

I fixed it by going to the BOM editor in the assy and un-checking the "enable ro merge on part number match" option on the "part Number Row Merge Settings" dialog box.

I don't think that that assy had any other components that were repeated.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks, that helped. Does anyone kno whow to work the " Merge Exclude List" box on the right side of that screen?

Thanks
Bill
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

This should go in the FAQ

Make your parts list of the "legacy" type - it's a choice when you create
the parts list. Not sure how to change an existing one or even if you can.

wrote in message news:5464814@discussion.autodesk.com...
This should be an easy one. I thought the reason to get varies in the
description was if two parts had the same part number and different
descriptions? Well, I am getting "Varies" in both description column and
part number colun on one part. The two parts have different descriptions and
part and file numbers. One was copied from the other to create it. Any way
to get these two to show up as seperate line items and descriptions.
Thanks
Bill
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Hi,
The condition where the partnumber shows *Varies* should never happen. I am surprised that the rebuild-all of the assembly did not resolve this. As I understand it, you copied a part and instanced it into the assembly, then changed it's partnumber. Is this correct? Is the the assembly an iAssembly? You should not have to turn off merging to correct this problem. Question: if you turn merging-by-partnumber on again, do you still see the same problem? If so, I would very much like to have this model if possible.

Katrin Grunawalt
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Katrin,
The part in question is not an I Part. The part was created by doing a save as in Inventor. Then I placed it into the assembly. Hope this helps. If you want to file I can try to get it to you when I have a liitle more time.
Thanks
Bill
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I'll do some research. Do you recall how you changed the partnumber of the copied part?

Katrin
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Katrin,

I opened the original, part to be copied, IPT file. I then did a "save copy as" the new file name/number. I then opened the new file name/number, went into the i-properties and manually changed the "part number"!
Bill
Message 11 of 12
wesleyosamigos

I am Brasileiro, don't learn speak english very well, but i recovery how resolve this problem.

Just copy and paste filename for the part number, this error is cause for filename duplicated on the Bill of Materials.

Att. Wesley

Message 12 of 12
lymanw
in reply to: wesleyosamigos

You can check and change the .ipt part file data outside of Invetor. Right-click on the part file in your file explorer, and click on iProperties. Go to Summary and change the Title, then go to Project and change the Part Number. Click Apply. Now you can double check the change in the Status tab, where Part Number should match what you changed in the Title and Project tabs. Then you can go back to Inventor to update your Parts List. Delete the previous parts list and create a new one.

I recommend making Parts Lists as "Parts Only" not Structured or either of the Legacy options. This lets you easily modify the order and info by right-clicking on the table and clicking Bill of Materials.

Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report