Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List Icons

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
The_Angry_Elf
3532 Views, 8 Replies

Parts List Icons

I was (and still am) officially stumped this morning by one of my workers when they asked me what these columns and icons mean in the Parts List.

PartslistIcons.PNG

Granted, the "Balloon" and the "Part" icons are a "gimmie", but for the life of me I can't recall, nor find the explanations/descriptions of the other columns/icons.

This was stumbled on when he found the parts list was listing the same parts twice and the only difference was the icons (one instance has the "Part" icon, the second instance of the same part in the Parts List has the "horizontal graph" icon.

Someone's got to know.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi TheAngryElf,

The balloon icon shows if the item has been ballooned on the drawing

The +/- icon is for expanding subassemblies in the parts list when the BOM is set to show All Levels

The icon that looks like a block on a book, indicates an content center part

The icon that looks like a bar graph indicates that more than one part file has been "rolled up" or combined under one part number.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

parts list icons.jpg

I hope this will answer the question

Regards

Eng.Ebrahim

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry I missed one of yours  it's a content Center Part

Message 5 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ebrahim60,

Just to clarify, the bar graph icon often does relate to Frame Generator parts, but it is not an indicator that the part is a Frame Generator part.

That icon indicates that two or more components have the same part number and have been "rolled up" or merged as the same item. This is often the case with Frame Generator parts, but not always the case.

Parts List Merged.png

Here's a quick video showing the part number row merge settings:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanx for clarification, coz we usually gave different names for different parts I didn't realized it

Message 7 of 9

I guess that's part of the confusion. The parts with the "graph" are, in  our case, not Frame Generator parts, nor have they been "rolled up".

In this case it's simply multiple instances of the same part used in the assembly.

Typically these would all be called out once in the parts list and then  a total given for the quantity, but for whatever reason, we found this assembly's part list didn't do such. What is even more confusing, the part is not only listed twice, but each listing has a different quantity. AKA if there are 10 of these parts in the assembly, one instance of the part in the parts list shows it as having 6 and the other instance shows there are 4.

I haven't had the chance to dive into the assembly file as of yet (many other fires at the moment) but I'm just wondering if in fact the designer at some point did perform a "promote" or "demote" in the process of building it. It's a command he recently "discovered" and was found to be using it as opposed to doing a "copy & paste" or "copy design", then blamed Inventor for removing the parts out of the original assembly he "promoted/demoted" them from.

Yeah, don't get me started on that one here, it won't go well....;)

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 8 of 9
W.Versin

Hey,

this helped me fix my own problem, indeed the parts list get messed up when you seem to use 'promote' or 'demote' command. Same as you it results in exact same parts shown twice in BOM with different QTY's, neither are correct. Nowhere was a solution found, i discovered turning those parts to 'phantom' and back to 'normal' fixes the issue. 

There might be another solution but i didn't found any on the forums or trying myself.

Message 9 of 9
mdavis22569
in reply to: W.Versin

@W.Versin 

Unfortunately this is from 2017 ... 3 years ago ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report