Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part number generation from frame 'Cutting List'

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
RSNewton59
454 Views, 2 Replies

Part number generation from frame 'Cutting List'

I have made a simple frame, using the generator. When I create the parts list, the part number refers to ISO657-1 (the material spec) L50x50x4 (The section and its dimensions) and then e.g. 460,84314575 which is the length to eight decimal places.
ISO 657-1 - L50x50x4-460,84314575
Apart from going into the list and editing this, can I make the auto generated length (a lot) less accurate. Bearing in mind it'll be cut by a chap using a bandsaw 1dp would be adequate.
I can get the quantity down to 1dp easily. It's justthe part number.
Thanks for any and all help

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: RSNewton59

This seems like a recurring problem for many people. I found the solutions below...

Partial solution (changing size requires you to mess with the part number to fix it again):
http://blog.ads-sol.com/2014/04/frame-generator-and-content-center.html

Full solution (requires more work in editing the family template for your content center table, plus creating a user parameter), but read all three replies marked as solution for a full explanation:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/frame-generator-rounding-part-number-and-g-l/m-p/88455...

Message 3 of 3
pcrawley
in reply to: RSNewton59

There is a less painful process that doesn't require additional parameters.  There are two processes really - one to fix things going forwards and the other for fixing the existing assembly.

To fix this assembly: 

• Open the BOM Editor in the assembly and select all the problem Frame members. Right-click to open them all.
  • In each Frame member file, go to Tools > Document Settings > Units - set the precision to 0 decimals (or whatever your shop will not laugh at) - then Apply the setting.  Forget to Apply, and the next step will fail.
    2.jpg
  • Move to the Document Settings > Bill Of Material tab, and reselect G_L from the "Base Quantity" section.  Notice the "Unit Quantity field changes to show the correct decimal precision.  If you forgot the "Apply" step - this bit doesn't happen. 
    1.jpg
  • Save, close, and move on to the next part.  

It gets really boring really fast, so I set a shortcut key for Document settings. However, when you return to the parent assembly, all the quantity fields should have the required precision.

To fix for all future jobs... As @Gabriel_Watson indicates through those links, there's a bit of effort required, but once done, it pays you back so quickly.

• File > Open > "Open from Content Center" and open a piece from the family you want to fix.
  • Save it anywhere - you'll delete it at the end.
  • Repeat the steps above in Document settings by setting the decimals to 0 and reselect G_L as the Base Quantity.  (I decided to go a bit further and change the appearance at this stage. Whatever you do to this part will appear in all sizes placed from this family.)
  • Open Content Center Editor, right-click the family you just edited and "Replace Family Template" selecting the part you have just edited.  Note that if you still have the part open, Inventor will close it for you.

From now on, every time you place a frame member from this family, the decimal places are fixed.  It's strangely very satisfying!  I was in the process of writing a macro to fix all my existing models - but it's just a bit beyond my capabilities and probably not so important now the CC library is fixed. 

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report