Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part locked in place when one constraint is added

51 REPLIES 51
Message 1 of 52
SCASTILLO-RMI
4031 Views, 51 Replies

Part locked in place when one constraint is added

Using Inventor 2019. Starting about a week ago I noticed that when applying a constraint I lose all freedom of movement with the part.

For example, I choose a mate constraint to place a small block on a flat plate. Previously once the parts were mated I would still be able to slide the block left/right/up/down along the plate. Now once the constraint is applied the part is locked. It will not move until I add another constraint, or delete the previous one.

This appears to be limited to one assembly but it occurs regardless of which parts I am working with or constraints chosen . I checked and there are no errors, grounded parts or conflicting constraints.

Any help with this one would be greatly appreciated.

51 REPLIES 51
Message 21 of 52
Anonymous
in reply to: SCASTILLO-RMI

I've had the exact same problem as you. The majority of the solutions suggests some sort of failure in the constraints, which I found was correct, but the 'design-doctor' was unable to detect it.

I went through all parts and constraints, but no visible flaws, however I provoked a over-constraint situation and afterwards the design-doctor listed no only the over-constraint but also another, not previously shown, constraint-problem. After deleting the troublesome constraint everything went to normal.

I am sure this is a Inventor problem as the malfunction in the constraint situation was not detected.

Message 22 of 52
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Usually, the behavior is related to pre-existing constraint failures. Or, there could be geometric issues. Another possibility is about LOD. In non-Master LODs, the constraints with unloaded components are solved using the cached geometry. Sometimes Inventor got confused about what geometry to be used.

Activate Master LOD and do rebuild all. Do you see the failed constraints? Does the assembly still lock up?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 23 of 52
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

You are correct, this was a constraint failure, but not one detected within the design-doctor - it has been hidden until a provoked over-constraint. LOD's has been on the scope, but all was set to master, so nothing there.

The model is now functioning as it should.

for info - I went through all parts within the model and looked at all constraints with no failure or flaw in the constraints before it were solved.

Message 24 of 52
mapsuporte
in reply to: blair

Hi Everyone,

I have a customer that is facing the same problem. We resolved it discovering the "sick constrain". 

The icon "Show sick" was gray, but we expand the relationships and find a relationship with a yellow icon. After exclude it, we was able to move/slide the part.

Best Regards,
Vinicius Moreira

Message 25 of 52
Anonymous

This happened to me today. While reading thru this thread I could not come up with an exact solution, however it was constraint related. I traced my problem back to a part several parts away in the build up. The problem part was over-constrained with a mate and flush constraint while also having our preferred insert constraints. I deleted the 2 constraints and voila! The assembly moves again!

Message 26 of 52
mrichard

One constraint a washer to a pin, now with the mouse you can not move those parts. But they can be moved with another constraint.

2022-04-13 One constraint parts can not move.jpg

Message 27 of 52
mrichard

To fix this issue I removed the Component Pattern. Not sure why this fixed the issue, look like a bug to me.

2022-04-13 Delete Component Pattern.jpg

Message 28 of 52
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mrichard

Hi! This is a bug in 2023.0. It will be fixed in 2023.0.1 update (available soon).

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 29 of 52
eric.dekeuster
in reply to: Anonymous

Helo Will, I hath the same problem as you described, my solution was just making a new Assembly and the constrains are working again. So, maybe the first composition ore assembly was corrupt.

Message 30 of 52

Hi Eric,

What release are you on? I am not aware of a systematic issue like this. We did have a  regression in 2023 RTM preventing components from moving, when there is a component pattern. This has been fixed on 2023.0.1 and later updates. Please make sure the applicable Inventor updates are installed.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 31 of 52

I have had the same issue randomly even when starting a completely new assembly with just 3 components. Assign a simple constraint and then none of the parts move freely without using the "FREEMOVE or FREE ROTATE" option.

Go figure.

Message 32 of 52

Hi! There are multiple reasons which may contribute to the behavior. 1) The part or the subassembly is adaptive. 2) There are Tangent or Transitional constraints. 3) The component was created by Component Pattern. 4) There is a corrupted constraint. 5) The geometry is bad. 6) There is slight deviation in the geometry (non-orthogonal faces).

Please share an example here. Forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 33 of 52

I'm referring as I stated a new assembly with just a few components (2/3). Zero sub assemblies. Just a basic assembly. The behavior does not occur all the time. It is random.

1.) The part or the subassembly is adaptive. - No sub-assemblies nor adaptive. No adaptive parts.

2) There are Tangent or Transitional constraints.- Nope just mates, face to face or axial.

3) The component was created by Component Pattern. - No component patterns.

4) There is a corrupted constraint. - It happens when there are literally just one constraint. The very first one. lol

5) The geometry is bad. - Normal square or flat surface.

6) There is slight deviation in the geometry (non-orthogonal faces). - Nope we do not work with complex geometry, everything is basically flat or round. 😀

Message 34 of 52

Hi! If you happen to see a repeatable case, please share it here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the lock-up behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 35 of 52

This happens to me quite often I'm pretty sure it's an Inventor problem, because sometimes I just need to ground something around that part and it works, I believe it's because some of them are complex to calculate.

This has happened in Solidworks to me also but much less frequent.

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 36 of 52

I actually never had that happen to me in SW. But yeah I think it's a random thing in Inventor.

Well theres not much complex about recatngular parts. lol 

Message 37 of 52

Hi Folks,

If possible, please share an example that exhibits the behavior. As I have mentioned earlier, there are several ways to lead to a lock-up assembly. Some may be reasonable but most cases should be bugs. Without an example, it is impossible to tell which is which.

One option you may consider turning on. Go to Tools -> App Options -> Assembly -> check "Enable redundant relationship analysis." When this option is enabled, the assembly constraint solver will do a more thorough solve, as opposed to the default quick solve. In some cases, the default behavior, though performant, can lead to incomplete DOF analysis.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 38 of 52

I understand the need to actually look at a file on your own system. However sharing is not always possible. Also, in my instance when it is literally 3 files with basic recatnagular geometry in a newly created file there are no other constraints to confilict with. Just doesn't seem like worth the time.

But will try to share when possible.

What about remote trouble shooting? Is that an option with Aitodesk? 

Message 39 of 52

Hi Anthony,

In very rare case, we would debug remotely. It is not a typical process. You mentioned that it happened to a simple dataset. Please share it with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 40 of 52

I've already moved on with that assembly. 

Next time I have the issue i will share with you. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report