Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part locked in place when one constraint is added

51 REPLIES 51
Message 1 of 52
SCASTILLO-RMI
4307 Views, 51 Replies

Part locked in place when one constraint is added

Using Inventor 2019. Starting about a week ago I noticed that when applying a constraint I lose all freedom of movement with the part.

For example, I choose a mate constraint to place a small block on a flat plate. Previously once the parts were mated I would still be able to slide the block left/right/up/down along the plate. Now once the constraint is applied the part is locked. It will not move until I add another constraint, or delete the previous one.

This appears to be limited to one assembly but it occurs regardless of which parts I am working with or constraints chosen . I checked and there are no errors, grounded parts or conflicting constraints.

Any help with this one would be greatly appreciated.

51 REPLIES 51
Message 41 of 52
pollock_22
in reply to: SCASTILLO-RMI

I had this problem many times before I discovered the issue with parts no longer able to move or rotate.

What I found was if anyone of my assemblies had a bad constraint in the model (only takes one bad constraint somewhere in the model) then the objects I am working on will no longer rotate or move. Expand All the Children and scan down looking for the yellow bad constraint symbol.

Hope this helps.

Message 42 of 52

Ha! Not always true. As I have already commented on here. Sometimes it happens even with a NEW assembly. You can drop in 2 parts and it locks ip. 
And before you say it, no parts are grounded, no sick or errored constraints., no conflicting constraints, no redundant constraints either. Not tied to a lower level or anything. I know its hard for you AUTODESK guys to accept, but occasionally its just a glitch in the software. Lol

Message 43 of 52

Hi Anthony,

If you can reproduce the behavior, please me know how to do it. I am more than happy to take a look to understand the issue better and pursue a fix. If this is specific to 2023.0, please install 2023.0.1 and 2023.1, followed by 2023.1.1.

Also you may consider turning on the following option.

Tools -> App Options -> Assembly -> check "Enable redundant relationship analysis."

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 44 of 52

No worries Johnson. We've already talked about this and beat that horse to death. lol 

Thanks. 

Message 45 of 52

I see this thread has gone on for a while and would like to offer my "catch all" tool that seems to fix these odd ball type issues.

But in my experience, if this file has been working fine and/or has gone thru a lot of changing, try running the file(s) thru Inventor's Task Scheduler and rebuild the file(s):

https://www.cdscad.com/blog/inventor-101-knock-knock-knock-housekeeping

That article will walk you thru the process. Not sure if it'll fix this issue, but it might find/fix/clear the corrupted constraint....if that's indeed the issue. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 46 of 52
gardnercryo

Make sure you have one grounded component in your assembly.

Message 47 of 52

Now that is a different idea that I have not heard. yet. Even though my issue was with a nee file that is still a great idea. Kind ic like what NX calls part cleanup.

I had no idea Inventor had that feature. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Message 48 of 52
hewmannet

Hi everyone.
Here is solution:
1. Make new clear assembly.
2. Insert your problem assembley in new one.
3. "Ground" it and make "Flexible".
4. It works for me. Everything is moving as you want.

Message 49 of 52
JDMather
in reply to: hewmannet

@hewmannet 

You didn’t resolve the root cause of.

Attach your assembly here if you can’t figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 50 of 52

Yes that will work. But you should not need to do that.
Message 51 of 52
franter67

I had this problem on a very complex piping assembly and  fix  it :

In the assembly browser, open the relationships folder and starting from the base I suppressed blocks of constraints until I found the corrupt constraint and everything was fixed.

Message 52 of 52

Yes I know how to perform the tedious task of checking constraints one by
one. But when it is a NEW assembly and only has 2 parts in it, then
something else is going on.
If you read back through the replies you can see several people have shared
that tip and it did not work. Of course I knew to check my parts to verify
they weren't grounded and checked constraints. I've only been doing this
for 34 years.

Could have been a corrupt file this post is very old. I've already moved on
from this post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report