Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part File derived from Assembly in the Drawing View

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
corey.jewell
149 Views, 5 Replies

Part File derived from Assembly in the Drawing View

I have a .ipt file I derived and mirrored from an assembly. This worked well for me. They are stilled link  (though don't need to be). My question is this: Is there a way to create a BOM and balloon a drawing and retain the information from the assembly. So for instance. Part A is in assembly file 123. Assembly file 123 is brought in as a mirrored derived link in part part file X. I now want to make a .idw file of the mirrored assembly 123 in the part file X. but want to access the BOM information found in assembly file 123. 

I know you can mirror the assembly file and I have found there are new features in the mirroring function which actually make that a usable function now. But in this case I want the assembly to be condensed to the part file however not having all the information for documentation poses a challenge. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RajSchmidt
in reply to: corey.jewell

I don’t think so. The BOM information is stored in the IAM file. Your derived part is just that – a single part without any BOM data.

Message 3 of 6
blandb

So just to make sure I understand your request. You are wanting a parts list of all the same items of the main assembly for this derived part, so if there are 50 parts, you want 50 line items to appear in the drawing of the part. The new file is an ipt, so there will only be 1 line item. Are all these components from the first assembly re-useable just flip them over, or are they actually true right/left hand components. 

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 6
corey.jewell

Yes, that's correct.

Message 5 of 6
andrewiv

If the parts are all the same between the files then you could put a view of the assembly off the drawing sheet and place a parts list from that.  You won't be able to balloon items on your derived part doing this.  I would suggest that if you need to have full BOM information then you should create it as an assembly instead of a derived part.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, only an iam file has the BOM table. Another approach to consider is to use this part as a substitute Model State in the assembly. Open the assembly -> expand the Model States folder -> right-click on Substitutes folder -> New Substitute -> Select Part File -> select the Derived Assembly part.

In the drawing, create a view based on the assembly in the substitute Model State. You can create the PartsList from the assembly. But ballooning will not work. It is because the view geometry is from the substitute part, not the actual assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report