Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part features supressed/unsupressed linked to configurations/representations

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
0x3FA5
1908 Views, 33 Replies

Part features supressed/unsupressed linked to configurations/representations

Hi,

Assume there is a simple part with hole in it, and I would like to represent 2 different views on the drawing, one with suppressed hole, the other showing the hole.

Going further, I would like to be able to select a representation/configuration and previously selected features would be suppressed/unsuppressed.

Configurations.PNG

This is very helpful in manipulation of the different stages of the design of a complicated part, especially since Inventor does not support folders in part environment.

Thank you for your replies!

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
mcgyvr
in reply to: 0x3FA5

Are you asking for a solution/suggested workflow to achieve this currently or is this post intended to be an idea to improve the software in the future?

You can easily accomplish what you want right now by creating an ipart.. One member would have the hole present.. The other would suppress it.. You can then show either member in whatever drawing view you wanted and can toggle between the 2 in an assembly using the "change component" functionality or creating an iassembly there..

If this is an idea for future improvement then I suggest you sign up for beta to see what they "may" be doing in regards to configurations presently and I'm quite positive there is already a posted idea on the ideastation to implement "browser folders" and similar part level configurations..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 34
0x3FA5
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am asking for a solution/suggested workflow to achieve this,

Thank you!

Message 4 of 34
Jose_Merino

In your browser in View, make a new view, in that new view you can turn off  the visibility of your holes, if you make double click in master your will see your piece withe the holes, now when you transfer this to a

drawing you can choose which view you want to use.

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 34
0x3FA5
in reply to: Jose_Merino

@Jose_Merino wrote:

In your browser in View, make a new view, in that new view you can turn off  the visibility of your holes, if you make double click in master your will see your piece withe the holes, now when you transfer this to a

drawing you can choose which view you want to use.

Capture.JPG

Not sure I understand..

In your browser in View - you mean in part or drawing? Did you mean just hiding the lines in the drawing?

Message 6 of 34
mcgyvr

@0x3FA5 wrote:

I am asking for a solution/suggested workflow to achieve this,

Thank you!

Ok.. So try making an ipart like I suggested above.. 3 or 4 different members each suppressing what you don't want in each.. Should be easy.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 34
Jose_Merino

In your part screen. you can make a new view or views to have 3 different configurations, after in your drawing you can chose which configuration you want to use for work with.

Message 8 of 34
0x3FA5

Please attach a detailed flow, since from what I see, the views are not related to features suppression.

Message 9 of 34
Jose_Merino

If you want to suppress the other configuration then you can make a Level of Details. or make an ipart like our college mcgyvr, suggest.

Message 10 of 34
0x3FA5

@Jose_Merino wrote:

If you want to suppress the other configuration then you can make a Level of Details. or make an ipart like our college mcgyvr, suggest.

Really guys, am I not getting something??

Aren't Level of Details for assemblies only??

Do I have some different Inventor from yours?

Message 11 of 34
JDMather

@0x3FA5 wrote:

I don't think these other responders understand your issue, so here we go again...

I don't own a rar extractor - I use only Windows to zip/extract files on my clean Inventor machine.

Can you use Windows to zip rather than rar?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 34
mcgyvr

@0x3FA5 wrote:

@Jose_Merino wrote:

Aren't Level of Details for assemblies only??

Do I have some different Inventor from yours?

I think Jose is confused..

Their suggestions don't make sense..

Try the ipart workflow..

Message 13 of 34
0x3FA5
in reply to: JDMather

I apologize, for some reason it automatically creates rar.

Message 14 of 34
mcgyvr

configstudy.PNG

example ipart table.. I have a newer version than you so I can't edit/post the files.. 

Message 15 of 34
Jose_Merino

Sorry, my mistake Level of Details is only for assembly, Sorry again.

ipart is the option.

Message 16 of 34
mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

configstudy.PNG

example ipart table.. I have a newer version than you so I can't edit/post the files.. 

and easily swapping between the 2 members..

Configstudy1.PNGConfigstudy2.PNG

Message 17 of 34
0x3FA5

Thanks,

iPart seems to be the solution.

(It is actually a stripped version of SW design tables, lol).

The only thing I found strange, and I think it's some kind of a bug:

Conf.PNG

In my actual part, some of the features have sketched based on currently suppressed features, and even though the parent feature suppressed - the derived sketch is not!

I browsed through the iPart table interface and couldn't find how to suppress sketch based on "configuration", please point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Message 18 of 34
SBix26

I added this to the previous topic before I realized that you had started a new thread–

One possibility:

1. Model the part without the hole
  2. Rectangular pattern the whole solid a convenient distance away, choosing New Solid option
  3. Add hole feature to the new solid body
  4. Create two View Representations, one with only Body 1 visible, the other with only Body 2 visible
  5. Use these view reps to create your drawing views

The view rep can also be used in assemblies to show only the finished part.  If mass properties are important, then the finished solid could be derived into a separate part for that purpose.  This technique can be expanded to as many stages of manufacturing as you need, hypothetically.

This is definitely a workaround, but it works for most purposes, I think.  I'm hopeful that Autodesk can come up with a good competitive answer to SWx configurations.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 19 of 34
0x3FA5
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you for your detailed reply!

I mentioned holes only as an example of the feature I would like to suppress.. The actual part has some extrusions and radii, since it is a cast part that is going to be machined further.

Message 20 of 34
0x3FA5
in reply to: SBix26

Nice workaround though, I will probably use it somewhere else!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report