Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter Rounding down only

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
VGonsalves
2672 Views, 10 Replies

Parameter Rounding down only

Hi Everyone

We have recently transitioned from Inventor Pro 2014 to 2016. Currently we are running Build 236, release 2016 SP2

Since the transition we have noticed a peculiar behavior in parameters. Since the migration all the data that is currently created or opened with the new software "rounds down" all the parameter values. In 2014 we had all the data rounding up or down based on the fact that it was greater or lesser than 0.5

For example in 2014 we had

1.23 = 1

1.5 = 2

1.89 = 2

but with 2016 we seem to get

1.23 = 1

1.5 = 1

1.89 = 1

We do not use any iLogic on these parameters so things should not have changed from that perspective.

Is there an additional setting somewhere or is there a hotfix available to fix this problem. This affects our day-to-day working so any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DRoam
in reply to: VGonsalves

Where is this rounding down taking place? In drawings? Sketches? In the parameters table? If so, which column?

Message 3 of 11
VGonsalves
in reply to: DRoam

The rounding down is happening in the parameter table to iProperties export

Refer to Capture1.png. Everything looks good here with the Height parameter using the value of the Z parameter. Now as you will notice the export option is ON (the tick on the far end)

Refer to Capture2.png. Now the exported parameters values show up incorrectly. The height parameter shows up as a number type and its value is rounded down while the Z parameter shows up as a text and the value is correct.

I have also attached the ipt file

Hope you can help me understand whats really going on.

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
csaba.stupak

In the parameter dialog right click on the e.g. Height parameter and invoke the Custom Property Format dialog.

CtxMenu.png

Using this dialog you can format how the given parameter is displayed in the iProperties dialog. In this case the Height parameter's precision was set to 0, what is the reason the decimal part is truncated.

CPFDialog.png

In this dialog it is possible to set the property type string (by default) or number.

Thanks, Csaba 

Message 5 of 11
VGonsalves
in reply to: csaba.stupak

Thanks Csaba for your response

First up I have my precision set to 0 cause I work in the fabrication industry which works best if the numbers are rounded to the closest integer.

Now back to the problem. This change was noticed after we transition to Inventor 2016. Prior to this there wasn't any problem with property type being a number or text. But since your post I tried changing my setting back to text and the rounding works as expected with anything larger than 0.5 gets rounded up and vice versa. So it seems there is a bug in the system. I had good reasons to have it set the way it was but for the time being I am going to change it to text and see if this change affects me. The reason I say "had" is cause I had created the templates a fair while ago.

I hope Autodesk fix this problem.

Thanks again

Message 6 of 11
DRoam

@VGonsalves, I think I might have identified the problem. As indicated in your parameters table, the value is actually NOT exactly 2124.5. As I've highlighted below, the exact value is 2124.4999999etc. which, however many 9's there are, is still less than 2124.5, so technically it SHOULD be rounded down. Inventor is doing exactly what it should. If you change that value to anything equal to or greater than 2124.5, it'll round up as expected.

Exported Parameter Rounding Issue.png

In your initial post you said you were seeing even values like 1.89 rounding down. Do you have a sample file where that's actually happening? Or did you just use that as an example to get the point across of what you were seeing with the 1.5 value? If that's the case, hopefully the explanation I just gave for why that's happening with the 1.5 value solves your issue!

Message 7 of 11
VGonsalves
in reply to: DRoam

DRoam

Thanks for trying to help me here. I believe you are not seeing the whole problem. If all you have said is true then why is the value 1081.79652589051 mm getting rounded down to 1081 when it gets exported as a custom property?

Message 8 of 11
blair

Is it getting rounded down or are you only importing only the whole number and the integer is being excluded/dropped?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 11
VGonsalves
in reply to: blair

Blair

I understand your question but I don't think I know how to import only the integer. There is no iLogic at play here, all I had was my parameters with the export checked on and the custom property set to number with the precision set to 0. This setup worked fine in 2014 and since the migration to 2016 we have noticed that the numbers behaving funny as I have explained earlier.

Message 10 of 11
blair

I don't think I would be using the Parameters area to set my units but in the drawing styles library settings. Even though this sounds like a bug/issue, you are losing data doing this way.

We use 4 decimal places for our IPT/IAM documents but control the display values in the drawing styles library settings for displaying units in the drawing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 11
VGonsalves

Thank you everyone for trying to help me. I had an Autodesk rep contact me but it seems he can't help me either.

The only way I found I could fix my problem was to toggle the parameters export status on/off. This results in the parameter being exported out as text. After doing so the 'Custom properties' can then be set back to 'Number' if required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report