Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARAMETER ERROR

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
599 Views, 4 Replies

PARAMETER ERROR

I;m trying to make a "smart" part using key parameters and equation. But i can not seem to get 2 parameters to divide by each other. it should come out to 3 but its red and give me some random number.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you want the result to be a unitless (ul) number (then set to ul rather than in)

or do you want the result to be inches (in) then multiply by 1in.

Designation of UnitsDesignation of Units

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Inventor is "units aware", and dividing inches by inches gives a unitless number; however, the units designated for the parameter in question is inches.  I suspect that you actually want it to be unitless, so right click on the units in the NUMBER_OF_REBAR (or whatever its name is) row and select unitless (ul).

Now, if the NUMBER_OF_RE... parameter is actually calculating a specific number of features, parts, etc, then this will need to be an integer (no digits after the decimal), so you will also need to add a function to round or remove the fractional part of the result; check out the floor, ceil, and round functions.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 5
Shannon.Stopher
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, thanks for the heads up on this issue.

I had a value and wanted to divide by a dimension value, thanks for reminding me that divide will lose its units, so I did this isolate(25000 ul / d1307;ul;mm) to put it back to mm.

Hope this helps others with the same issue.

Message 5 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Shannon.Stopher

That's what the isolate function is for, yes!  But it's generally even easier to (in your case) multiply by 1mm to get the units you need.  Likewise, when applying functions that require a unitless value (square root, for example) to a dimensional value, you can simply divide by 1mm for the function, then multiply at the end to regain the units.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.2 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report