Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack and Go extremely slow

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
505 Views, 5 Replies

Pack and Go extremely slow

Hi,

I am working with Inventor pro 2018, fully updated.

Windows 10, fully updated.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA Quadro P3000

32 GB RAM

Working with files from a server through a PPTP VPN connection.

When I try to do a Pack and Go, it takes about 5 min to open the dialog window. By that, I mean that nothing appears for 5 min after I clicked File, Save As, Pack and Go.

Then, it also takes a lot of time to do the Search Now, varies depending on the size of the file, but still takes many minutes. And the worst offender is the Search File Reference (for drawings) even if I search the folder only, without including sub folders. It takes 15min+ and will often crash.

I have to ask people that work on site to do the pack n go because I simply can't, or it is not productive.

Does anyone know what could be the problem, and how to fix it? (I highly suspect the VPN, but I have no knowledge about that so I wouldn't know how to even begin)

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

You mention you are using a VPN connection.  You did not say "how" you are using it.  I will guess you are using Windows Remote Desktop.  If so, why are you working with files on your server.  Pack and Go is an installed Inventor function, is Inventor installed on your server.? If it is not, you will see performance issues because you are working on the server and not Remote Desktoping to a workstation with Inventor.  Normally, if your VPN is pretty fast, Windows Remote Desktop will allow you to use your Inventor workstation just like you are sitting in front of it.  All of the Pack and Go process is handled on the workstation and not over the VPN, you only are transmitting graphics via VPN.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

I don't know much about VPN, but I just set up a VPN connection just like I set up a wifi connection. Enter the type, the IP, a username and password. It appears above my wifi choices in windows 10, and I click connect, thats about it. I can than see all the folder on that server in my Windows Explorer, just as if they were on my computer so to speak. I can access everything, open everything with inventor installed on my laptop and save everything quickly. Nothing is ever slow when I work with inventor on my laptops with files on the server (we do not use vault). The only time it is slow is when I do anything with the Pack and Go feature. We do pack n go to send the files to our clients.

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Since you are accessing Invnetor files through network, the bottleneck could be network related. From Inventor’s perspective, a network drive is just another storage place like any local drive. Depending on how your project is set up, P&G may need to search network locations, libraries, CC folders, and work space. The more network paths to search, the slower it becomes.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

So, how would I fix the fact that it takes 5min to open the create a PnG window for the same assembly in the same project on the same server as my coworkers which takes a couple seconds?

Again, the only difference is that I am accessing these servers through a VPN connection instead of directly through the network, or whatever the right terms are. I have no knowledge of that, which is why I am posting here, since I believe Inventor employees (or anyone experienced enough with Inventor) would be best fit to answer and fix questions related with Inventor.

If you tell me it is beter to contact a general IT guy to look into it, I could, but the PnG feature of Inventor seems to be the only offender of such a huge delay, everything else I access through the VPN is fine.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, the information you provided so far isn't actionable. It is because we don't have your environment to reproduce the behavior. Are you saying with VPN connection, the PnG takes a long time than non-VPN connection? Could you try a test in your office with the same network but enable VPN connection? Would you be able to reproduce the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report