Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping extrusions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
709 Views, 5 Replies

Overlapping extrusions

Hey, I am new to modelling with Inventor, so appologies if my questions seems trivial.

I am trying to model the stator of an induction motor, which is to be tested in Comsol.

As seen in image 1 : I have seperated the stator to represent different windings

The problem I am facing is seen in image 2 (zoomed in) where the windings are overlapping with the outer ring, while sketching these circles have the same diameter, but I do not understand why this overlapping is happening.

When I see the sketch (image 3) there is no overlap. only when the surfaces are extruded this issue comes up.1.png2.png3.png)there

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

To avoid a lot of guessing, post the inventor file please. 

And tell us which Inventor version you use. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Like Jürgen mentioned here, please share the files. I suspect you may have overlapped arcs or circles with nearly identical radius value.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

... you may have overlapped arcs or circles with nearly identical radius value.

... or the centerpoints differ a little, or ... 

To help you we need your Inventor file.

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you for your reponse Jürgen and Johnson, I am attaching the file here.
I went through your remarks and made sure the centres and the radii are the same. Maybe I am missing  somthing. I notice that I cannot start the line shown in the image attached below exactly from the circle. This causes the line to extend similarly over the outer circle.

Thanks again for taking time to help me.

Message 6 of 6
j.palmeL29YX

Some base rules for Inventor: 

- Sketches have to be always full constrained (your Sketch1 is not)

- if ever possible do not array sketch geometry. A sketch should be as simple as possible. Then you can array the feature(s) - in your example the extrusions. 

An IMO better suggestion is attached. If you have further questions feel free to ask again. 

BTW: If you still see an "overlapping", this is only a graphical issue. You can easy check it if you combine the two "overlapping" solids with the Intersect method. If there would be really an overlapping, the result must be the overlapping volume - but there is not. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report