Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Origin point of an Assembly matches with the origin point of Sub assembly

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
799 Views, 2 Replies

Origin point of an Assembly matches with the origin point of Sub assembly

Hello,

It's been a while I trying to find a solution to this problem reading on the Forum and on the Network, but until now I didn't find a solution.

I have a "Main Assembly - Parent" with inside constrained together a lot of "Secondary Assembly - Child".

My problem is:

- I need to change the Origin Point of each "Secondary Assembly - Child" in order that the Origin Point of each "Secondary Assembly - Child" matches with the Origin Point of the "Main Assembly - Parent".

Do you know if there is a command in Inventor to Edit the Origin point of an Assembly ( I am not intersted to edit the Origin point of an .ipt, but I am interested to edit the Origin point of an .iam assembly).

I woul dlike to have the same Origin point because in the future I can constraint all this "Secondary Assembly - Child" just doing Grounded to the origin point in my new future "Main Assembly - Parent" 

I know only a way using Promote and Demote creating again the " Secondary Assembly - Child". But this way it is really time-consuming.

Thank you very much. I hope someone can help me in that.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
swalton
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no way I know to move the origin geometry in an assembly or part file.  Those features are used to define the 0,0,0 coordinate system of each file.  The location of everything else (features, components, etc) is based on that 0,0,0 origin.

Did you constrain a logical "base" part in each subassembly to that sub's origin features?  If so, and you only constrained each new component in that sub to the "base" part, it should be easy to change your constraint schemes.  If not, you may have to spend some time to make the changes to the constraints in each sub-assembly to correctly locate each component.

What problem are you trying to solve by changing the component constraint system?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

Thank you Swalton for your quick answer. I can understand.

I don't want to change the component constraint system. I just wanted to adapt the Origin point of the Sub-Assembly in order to have the same Origin point of the Main Assembly. But I can see it is not possible to do in a quick way.

I need this because, I am used to work with a Main Assembly where a lot of Sub-Assembly (lowest level) an Part are placed. Then after the design I build 4 or 5 Sub-Assembly (Middle Level - according to the scope of each Part of Sub Assembly at the lowest level) in order in the future that I can place directly this in another Main Assembly with my future design.

But this time I made a mistake and I select a wrong point as Origin in the Main Assembly, so all the Sub-Assembly Middle Level have a wrong Origin Point.

I will constraint the "Sub-Assembly Middle Level" with the correct Origin point and then I will promote the "Sub-Assembly and the part at the Lowest level" and the Demote in a New Sub-Assembly Middle Level with a different name.

This is should be the easiest way I guess.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report