Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening/viewing inventor dwg files in AutoCad

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2836 Views, 9 Replies

opening/viewing inventor dwg files in AutoCad

Hello,

Simple question.

I would like my client to be able to open/view my Inventor .dwg files/drawings with AutoCAD.

If I send him just the Inventor .dwg file he cannot open it. Do I need to send him the 3D model (e.g. .ipt file) along with the Inventor .dwg file with which it is associated ?

Thank you in advance,

Raimundas

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SteveMDennis
in reply to: Anonymous

You do not need to send the IPT file with the Inventor DWG.

This sounds like your client does not have a version of AutoCAD that can read the Inventor DWG file.

Is his AutoCAD as new as your Inventor? i.e. compatible?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

Export your Inventor dwg file as an Autocad dwg file.

When in exporting process, you can choose the version of dwg you need to export to be compatible with partner's autocad version. 

1.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Thank you Steven for a prompt reply,

I will find that out, this may well be the case since I am using 2016 Inventor.

But just to comprehend this better. As far as I understand, Inventor dwg files are linked/associated to the 3D model i.e. source files whether its ipt or iam. You change them and the drawing updates accordingly automatically. And, for instance, if I delete the source file Inventor does not open the dwg file, it asks for the source file. So I thought the same thing happens when you try it to open with AutoCAD or not ? Does the Inventor dwg file alone contains all the required data/info to be viewed in AutoCAD ?

Raimundas

Message 5 of 10
SteveMDennis

Raimundas,

You have the correct understanding of the INVENTOR update model (files are linked, needed, etc.).

The DWG file will stand on it's own in AutoCAD. You do NOT need the IPT file. If you modify the IPT file you will have to update it IN INVENTOR first to see the updates in AutoCad.

Keep in mind you can even open the Inventor DWG in Inventor without the IPT file (skip all on open if the file is missing or open it in Defer mode to achieve the same thing).

All the data for the drawing is IN the DWG file, the lines that represent the 2D view of the 3D model live IN the DWG file and can be dimensioned, colored, etc.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know I can do this. But is that extra step necessary. I read in the Inventor's help that Inventor dwg files can be opened/viewed in AutoCAD directly. So, I was interested why my client cannot open them, does he also needs associated source (3D model) files ?

Raimundas

Message 7 of 10
SteveMDennis

To view your Inventor DWG he does NOT need the IPT file. This cannot be the problem he is having.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Steven, thank you very much.

Just one last thing, to save my Inventor dwg drawing in older version I change 'Inventor DWG File Version' in 'Drawing' tab in 'Application Options' to some older AutoCAD version, right ?

Raimundas

Message 9 of 10
SteveMDennis

That value seems to only apply to templates and new Inventor DWG files (see the help). Once the Inventor DWG file has a version in it we cannot save to an older version, Inventor has never supported that.

As CarlosC pointed out above you can export the Inventor DWG as an AutoCAD DWG in an older version as needed.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I got it. Thank You once again for a prompt and detailed explanation.

Raimundas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report