Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Inventor 2018 files with Inventor 2015

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
9916 Views, 9 Replies

Opening Inventor 2018 files with Inventor 2015

Hello, it is possible with inventor on 2015 to open files of the version 2018, I know that with inventor on 2017 it is possible to open files of versions 2018.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
asiteur
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for asking your question.

Inventor 2017 was the first to be 'downward compatible', hence being able to open newer files.

Before that, Autodesk has updated the fileformat every year and therefore you cannot open 2018 files in 2016 or before.

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 10
SBix26

If I understand correctly from the What's New document, even in Inventor 2017.4 it will not be possible to open 2018 files, only to reference them using AnyCAD.  That's still useful, but it's not the same as actually opening the files.

If I have misunderstood, someone please correct me.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.3.1
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 4 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26

You are correct.  Its a reference to the newer version (using ANYCAD) and not the ability to open and edit them.   Newer Inventor files must be edited in the version they were created in or via a newer version of Inventor.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 10
mdavis22569
in reply to: SBix26

Sam sums it up best ...I think there is going to be some confusion on the R4 enhancement. 

It's for referencing only..... but some people will believe they can modify these parts/assemblies they bring in.

Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, it is possible with inventor on 2015 to open files of the version 2018, I know that with inventor on 2017 it is possible to open files of versions 2018.

Yes... There is one way... Save copy as to step file in 2018 and open that in 2015..

BUT feature tree (model browser features) will be lost...

Other than that .... No... Inventor is not backwards compatible even today with 2018..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: asiteur

How do you open 2016 Inventor files on Inventor 2018?

Message 8 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

Just open the Inventor 2016 files with Inventor 2018. Thats it. When saving it will migrated all the files to version 2018. But if others are usng a legacy version of Inventor in your organization they will not be able to open this model and its components

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Is it possible to open Inventor 2016 saved ipt file, in Inventor 2015?

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! For 2016 and 2015, the answer is no. The so-called Future CAD workflow is enabled in 2017.4. It allows 2017.4 to reference 2018 files, as if it is derived (ipt -> ipt, ipt -> iam, and iam -> iam). Now 2018.3 update is released. It allows 2018.3 to reference 2019 files. If you happen to have 2017.4 installed on the same machine, the existence of 2018.3 also enables 2017.4 to reference 2019 files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report