Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open part drawing directly from assembly in the background not foreground

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
briant.markham
825 Views, 6 Replies

Open part drawing directly from assembly in the background not foreground

Is there a way to have an assembly open and right click a part in that assembly and click > Component > Open Drawing and have the drawing open in the back ground instead of the foreground, the reason I ask is I have assemblies with 100's of parts and would like to open a good percentage of them for printing without having to go back to the original assembly after opening each one.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The answer is NO as far as I can tell.  May I suggest that you use the Inventor Task Scheduler to do this work for you.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7

Hello @briant.markham

I have used iLogic to open drawings before. And print them. Instead of opening every drawing in an assembly individually.

But i used it to open all the drawings in an assembly. Then update them, when i changed the size of a part.

So you could possibly do this through iLogic.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 4 of 7

I don't see how that will help, I have multiple assemblies and subassemblies with common parts located in different directories, unless there is something I missed.

Message 5 of 7
blair
in reply to: briant.markham

The only way close, would be to RMB click on the Sub Assembly, select Open, then RMB on the Sub in the Upper Most of the Browser window and then select Open Drawing.

It then opens the sub as it's own window (no return to parent arrows or back one sub).

This would only work if all the sub assemblies reside within the Project File Scope.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7

Inventor has no way of knowing that a component is being referenced by a drawing. In fact, the same component could be referenced by multiple drawings - how does Inventor know which drawing you want to open?

The right click and 'Open Drawing' option only works if the drawing file has exactly the same filename as the component (apart from the file extension).

Do you save drawings and components with the same filename in this way?

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi! Inventor by itself would not be able to tell which drawing consumes a given assembly. However, EDM system like Vault has the ability to find where a given file is used. You may want to consider using Vault.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report