Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open file dialog performance 2021

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
CadUser46
314 Views, 11 Replies

Open file dialog performance 2021

Ever since changing to 2021 it's be noted by all users the Open File Dialog seems to be very laggy.

- After pressing open, it opens fine.

- In then seems to bug out when sorting the filelist.  Anywhere from 5-15s.  Occasional Not responding.

- Clicking through any files is laggy.

- Typing in the first few characters of the filename is also laggy. Occasional Not responding.

- Wildcard searching results in occasional Not responding.

Things i've tried over the past few months.

- Disabling Cortana.

- Disabling our 3rd party addin.

- Disabling all un-used native addins (always done this anyway).

- Cleared temp files.

- Had IT disable AV, and had Inventor file types added to whitelist.

- Cleared workspace.  Seems 'almost' fine when very small number of files but anything over a few hundred and it's laggy.

Sadly i've not managed to make any useful improvements.  Has anyone experienced this and have any other suggestions?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: CadUser46

Is this only happening for one specific project (maybe stored in a network location?) or for any project including Default?
Are you opening from Vault or simple open?
Do you have any cloud drives enabled (OneDrive, Sharepoint, Autodesk Desktop Connector)?
Message 3 of 12
CadUser46
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

@Gabriel_Watson 

- Project files are local (non-vault) and physically local to each machine.  They do point to network Templates and Design data, as they did in every previous version.

- No Vault but have 3rd party PLM addin, so simple open.  Tried disabling already.

- The Default project is one thing i have not tried.

- We do have Onedrive enabled.  I have personal and business but i think most users just have business.  Same behaviour though.  I did not think to try disabling them.

- I forgot to mention i have already removed dead quick links, and i have no mapped drives.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 4 of 12
Gabriel_Watson

The Open dialog also brings up some Libraries (such as Content Center) it needs to read, so I would also check if those libraries are networked or have some components under too long of a file path. And, of course, check if your project folder workspace is not a very long path either (too deep, over 240 characters or so in Windows and it gets lost).

Galaxybane_0-1662469661727.png

Message 5 of 12
CadUser46

I've always made the CC local.  The project file and app options point to the local copy.

That said i've just noticed project points to C:\users (OFD points here) and App Options is C:\Program Data, so i'll sort that.

The one at C:\users is also empty.  We dont tend to use CC so hadn't noticed.

File paths are 63 for CC and 37 for workspace.

Additionally i have two machines.  The workstation in the office users the network project paths, and the laptop uses local paths.  Both have the same behaviour.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 6 of 12
tomasz.sztejka

The "stuck-quick run-stuck" type of behavior is usually, from my experience in other software, related to:

- accessing network resource which is no longer available. This type access usually takes few seconds to timeout and return failure which will be then intercepted by software and it will rapidly move forwards;

- near dead hard disk, which does exactly alike thing, it pauses, re-allocates broken data and moves forwards.

Second is easy to catch, try finding some S.M.A.R.T software which will ask hard disk about its health.

First it very tricky, because a plain listing of files also cause asking operating system about icons, miniatures, apps which are registered for it and etc. If this would be the case You would however observe alike problem in any other software.

Sorting files list should have no impact on it, neither filtering, unless it is very badly written software.

It looks like the Open dialog is continuously monitoring what happens in a folder it shows (try keeping it open and copy some *.idw file to it) so it will be susceptible to other software touching the folder continuously, but I failed to trigger the observed effect.

Have no more ideas except good old standard solution: "purge Inventor and re-install" followed by more radical "format drive and re-install windows". I suppose it is out of question.

Message 7 of 12
Gabriel_Watson

This seems to be more of a Windows issue than an Inventor issue. There are many articles online on "file explorer slow" if you search for it, but I would start by trying this fix:

Galaxybane_1-1662473617914.png

Message 8 of 12
CadUser46
in reply to: tomasz.sztejka

You're probably not wrong.  Most of the machines are Sata SSD but even the newer M.2  machines are the same.

Short of stumbling across a solution, we'll just have to live with it.

Will report back if i find anything.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 9 of 12
CadUser46

I've always had those two tick boxes unticked anyway, but i'll add the clearing to my list.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! A quick test to try. Activate the Default project. Or, create a new project without any library path. Does Open dialog come up faster? If yes, the slowness might be related to your project settings. Probably too many favorite folders or library folders.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
CadUser46
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I tried this when i got in this morning.

We use a flat file structure in the workspace so zero favourites or libraries anyway.  The behaviour is the same with the default project.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Then I cannot explain the behavior. Are the files stored on a network server or local drives? Try turning off AntiVirus or network security tool temporarily to see if it makes a difference. Just cover some basics. Please make sure all critical Windows updates are installed and the graphics driver is updated. Make sure 2021.4 update is installed, followed by 2021.4.2 update.

Here are a few optional steps.

2) Go to Windows Display settings and select the recommended resolution and scale.

3) Right-click on the Inventor desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI Settings -> check both boxes. Also check "Run as Admin."

4) Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment variables -> create "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR” and set it to 0.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report