Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open drawing right click not working

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sbromley
935 Views, 4 Replies

Open drawing right click not working

I've just found out about right clicking on a part in the browser and choosing "Open Drawing", but - it then opens a window where I have to browse to the folder the drawing is saved to open it. This rather defeats the object of this command. I'd have thought it would know where the drawing file was and open it straight away!

Is it because the file name of the drawing has been modified to include the drawing number?

Autocad Mechanical 2023
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
-niels-
in reply to: sbromley

Yes, for the "open drawing" function to work the filename of the part/assembly and the drawing need to be identical.
Otherwise you get the dialog to find the drawing, as you have noticed.

It's been like that since it was introduced, not sure if there are any ideas to improve this on the ideas board... might be worth having a search if you think it should be.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 5
ToddPig
in reply to: sbromley

In Solidworks, if you right-click : open drawing, it opens the drawing that is linked to that part. It's very easy. It's things like this that I wish Inventor would catch up to other programs on.
Inventor 2018
(23+ years of Solidworks, 5+ years of fighting Inventor)
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ToddPig

Hi Todd,

Many thanks for the feedback! I could be wrong but I think SWX limits one model file (part or assembly) in one drawing, right? If yes, open the linked component file makes sense.

Inventor does not have the limitation. A user is allowed to create as many drawing views referencing different components within a drawing file. Open linked component workflow may not be unique. This is why we limit the open to the same named component which is most frequently used paradigm.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
ToddPig
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

Solidworks does not limit the number of models/assemblies that be on a single drawing. But it does eliminate the "Open drawing" from part feature. But typically, unique parts would have unique drawings. If parts were similar, then you could use configurations, and all of these configurations could be on one drawing. And in this case, the "Open drawing" feature works.

In other words, the "Open Drawing from part file" feature has more limitations in Inventor then Solidworks.

I use this feature all the time in Solidworks, and rarely use it Inventor. In fact, when I first discovered this feature in Inventor, I showed a few co-workers. The first person I showed had more than one part in the drawing, and thus it wasn't a good example. The second person was using iparts, and it didn't work. I stopped showing people this feature.
Inventor 2018
(23+ years of Solidworks, 5+ years of fighting Inventor)
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report