Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old AutoCAD Detailer

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jbndb
226 Views, 4 Replies

Old AutoCAD Detailer

I am currently an old AutoCad guy. I have been using since the early 80's. I would like to transition to a better 3D program and still be able to use my drawings as well. Is anyone else in this predicament? 

I need to find a new way to do my job but be able to produce shop drawings as well. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CGBenner
in reply to: jbndb

@jbndb 

Welcome to the Inventor family!  Are you aware that Inventor can create full detail drawings in both .idw and .dwg format?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 5
kbowen

Our company has gone through this process in the past. We still find AutoCAD to be useful however most of our drawings are created in Inventor. We only convert from AutoCAD to Inventor when needed and still use some original CAD drawings.

Most all electrical and fluid diagrams are created in AutoCAD and some simple/quick sketch type drawings which don't justify the time to 3D model come from CAD. I also use AutoCAD for some layout work based on a 3D model (export an Inventor drawing to CAD and then sketch or design on top of that), these tend to be concept type drawings and are never officially published for vendor or shop use.

It will take time to find your "new way" but you will find it!

Karen
Message 4 of 5
JDMather

@jbndb 
At one time I was a Certified AutoCAD Professional.  Started using it sometime in the last century.

Ask your questions here and you will get answers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
CGBenner
in reply to: kbowen

@jbndb @kbowen 

That sounds a lot like my previous experience before joining Autodesk.  All of our machine designs were done with Inventor, but P&ID's and sketches or quick mockups were done in vanilla AutoCAD.  Control panel layouts, ladder diagrams and PLC schematics were all done in AutoCAD Electrical.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report