Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nozzle Cone - How to flatten?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Zednero
503 Views, 14 Replies

Nozzle Cone - How to flatten?

Hi all, 

I'm relatively new to this and still trying to grasp just how to get things to work. 

I am currently trying to make a nozzle, not dissimilar to one used for icing, with 12 points at the end. 

I've managed to draw a few variations of this, however, each way I've drawn it, I cannot seem to find a way to flatten the design. 

When going back to basics, I can flatten a basic cone to a flat pattern, but not with the points and I've no idea where I'm going wrong with it all. 😂 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
A.Acheson
in reply to: Zednero

Hi @Zednero 

Can you attach the part file of your attempt so others can help and allow us to see what you have tried also some images of what the finished part looks like. You might have to do some work arounds to get what you need if it's a complex feature.

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 3 of 15
Zednero
in reply to: A.Acheson

Hi, 

Sure, I'll try and get some bits up tomorrow. I've spent a few hours on it tonight to no avail, and have currently got it all **** down. 😂 

Thankyou. 👍🏼 

Message 4 of 15
Zednero

IMG-20240629-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20240628-WA0032.jpeg

20240627_124633.jpg

Just while I remember, here's a couple of pictures I took when trying different methods. The last one, is essentially what I'm trying to create. 

Message 5 of 15
A.Acheson

Just thinking out loud, but maybe make the cut outs and then in the fold mode do a model bend ( not the sheetmetal bend.) Never tried anything like this so I'm not sure if the sheetmetal bend will be able to have a bend and then to produce the cone. How dis you produce the cone actually? Contour roll with multiple bends or another method?

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 6 of 15
Zednero

Well, I've used a few different methods in making the cone base, which I can flatten if it wasn't for the star nozzle at the tip. You'll have to excuse my laymen terms here when I explain the methods I've used.

The first way, I drew a circle, extruded to length as a solid, drew another circle inside and used the cut extrusion both with the taper. 

The second way, I drew out a side profile like triangle, revolved it round on its axis and used shell method to hollow it out. 

Both of these, I couldn't seem to flatten. 

The method used to flatten it, was when I went back to the circle method. But, approached differently. I made the base circle, offset a plane above it at the desired height of the cone and drew another circle. I then used loft tool, to bring them together. I then used the thicken/offset quilt method to hollow it out. 

Message 7 of 15
Zednero

Well, I've used a few different methods in making the cone base, which I can flatten if it wasn't for the star nozzle at the tip. You'll have to excuse my laymen terms here when I explain the methods I've used.

Apologies if it seems a long post! 

The first way, I drew a circle, extruded to length as a solid, drew another circle inside and used the cut extrusion both with the taper. 

The second way, I drew out a side profile like triangle, revolved it round on its axis and used shell method to hollow it out. 

Both of these, I couldn't seem to flatten. 

The method used to flatten it, was when I went back to the circle method. But, approached differently. I made the base circle, offset a plane above it at the desired height of the cone and drew another circle. I then used loft tool, to bring them together. I then used the thicken/offset quilt method to hollow it out to desired wall thickness required. After that, I converted to sheet metal, again, setting the parameters. I then created a point in work feature ribbon, across the plan that cuts through the centre, lengthways across the cone. After that, I used RIP, which was successful in giving me a flat pattern. 

In regards to the tip, I drew out a 12 sided polygon, centred to the top face (circle), and convert each of these to construction lines. I then create my star using this as a guide. Using line, and joining every other point, and using the trim tool afterwards to make it one single shape. 

This then gets cut extruded into the top face of the cone. 

Now, the one with the sharp points above, was left, at just the cut extrusion, where essentially it cuts through the wall at a taper, where as the other one, I didn't cut it through the wall as much, when then left me with non-pointed tips, so I created a plane above, around 5mm and lifted each tip face to a centre point I created. These points in the end product are the be bent as required anyway, so straight up, to the centre, etc, doesn't really matter, so long as I can get them with a point on. 

The issue for me, seems to lay, with not being able to make a cut, up and across the tip. However, I'm sure there is a way, I just haven't found, or discovered a work around for it yet. 😂 

I have tried drawing a line, and using the split function, that didn't work. I also tried rip method on one of them, that crashed inventor and I lost the cone I didn't save (with the lifted points to the centre), I've even tried drawing a 0.1mm thick rectangle across it and using cut extrusion, but that didn't work either.

(Also, not sure how I've made a half post, and then a full post, but I can't find a delete comment option. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:) 

Message 8 of 15
ut2VF7RU

Hello, I am not entirely sure how you want to achieve the solution but you can achieve it like fallows;

Extrude the geometry like a bullet, sketch a star shape which should be normal view to top plane, think of it as projectioned to that plane. Then use shell function to get the thickness you want finally extrude the skecth you draw to the end.   

Here is the result

ut2VF7RU_0-1719828520323.png

Message 9 of 15
Zednero
in reply to: ut2VF7RU

Thanks, I'll work on this later. 

Can this then be flat patterned? 

Message 10 of 15
ut2VF7RU

I dont think it is impossible, you can work with contour roll in sheet metal to get such a pattern , as I said there are several ways for it to work but you have to choose what is best for you.

Message 11 of 15
blandb

I'm not certain sheet metal will give you a flat since it is more of a die formed shape, you could look into the "unwrap" command to give you an approximation.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 12 of 15
jyager

Better question is why would you need a flat? What could you possibly roll that small of a radius with? That's definitely a dye/stamped part.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2025.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 13 of 15
Zednero
in reply to: jyager

To be honest, I am currently uncertain. The challenge arises from the initial components, which possess an inadequate wall thickness, of merely 0.25mm, while there is a requirement for them to be full pen welded to an elbow with a wall thickness of 1.5mm. For simplicity and practicality, I was considering fabricating the part with a 1mm wall thickness.

Given my lack of prior exposure to the manufacturing process of these components, I am unfamiliar with the methods previously employed to make them.

Message 14 of 15
kacper.suchomski

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 15 of 15
Zednero
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

😳 Wow. In minutes, you done what I spent days, not achieving! 😂 

Tomorrow, I'll try to replicate some of this, if I can! That's a great help. Thankyou! 🙇🏻‍:male_sign: 

Ps. Jesteś ewidentnie bogiem designu i muszę się kłaniać przed twoją wiedzą! 😂 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report