Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT ABLE TO SKETCH IN A WELD ASSEMBLY

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
2346 Views, 1 Reply

NOT ABLE TO SKETCH IN A WELD ASSEMBLY

HELLO,

I AM IN WELD ASSEMBLY MODE AND I AM UNABLE TO ADD A SKETCH TO THE PART. ACCORDING TO "KNOWLEDGE.AUTODESK" THE WELD ASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY SHOULD HAVE THE SAME FEATURES BUT THE WELD ASSEMBLY HAS A BIT MORE. I OPENED A NEW STANDARD ASSEMBLY AND DO NOT HAVE  PROBLEM WITH SKETCHING TO THE SAME PART AS WHAT IS IN THE ORIGINAL WELD ASSEMBLY. I ALSO OPENED A NEW WELD ASSEMBLY AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE ABILITY TO ADD A SKETCH. YOU CAN SEE THE IMAGE BELOW WHERE THE SKETCH ICONS ARE UNAVAILABLE.

ASSEMBLYSKETCH.jpg

MY QUESTION IS: SHOULD I BE ABLE TO ADD A SKETCH TO A PART IN A WELD ASSEMBLY AND EXTRUDE IT? IF SO, HOW DO I DO IT?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to select either the Preparations or Machining within the weldment to create a sketch (and Extrude - Cut) material from the weldment.

In the real world equivalent of Inventor techniques - Preparation operations occure before welding and Machining operations occur after welding.

Weldment.PNG

You didn't clearly state your design intent - but if you are trying to create an assembly level part rather than a weldment operation - then you will need to Demote this assembly to a sub-assembly within your weldment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report