Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to check in drawing when 3D file closed

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
e-j_devries
317 Views, 10 Replies

Not able to check in drawing when 3D file closed

Hi,

Since yesterday I am having a problem with Inventor 2023. It might be a coincidence but I also  I installed the latest updates of both Inventor Pro 2023 and Vault Pro 2023 yesterday.

The problem is that I am unable to check in a .idw drawing when the corresponding .ipt or .iam file is not opened. When I open the .iam the check in button can be pressed again. Very frustrating, especially since I am told always to check in a 2D drawing with the 3D file closed.

When I save the 2D, closed it and open it again, I am also able to check it in. It is a work around for the time being, but it is defintelly frustrating to work in such a silly way.

help1.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
e-j_devries
in reply to: e-j_devries

I found out the problem only occurs when the first time I have the .idw opened.

When I save the .idw, close it, open it again, I am able to check it in.

Message 3 of 11
bogdan946KV

Hallo, this can happen if you add your .idw file in to Vault Client directly (drop file). The work around is to open and save file few times so Vault can find/save relationships. Than as you mentioned this problem disappear. But of course I do not know how you added files at first place, this is just based on my experience.

Message 4 of 11
e-j_devries

Thanks for your reply.

I never had this issue in using Inventor+Vault since 2017.

With drop file you mean the "open drawing from Vault" command? Thats indeed how I open drawings usually.

There already should be a local version before you can check in?

Well, I will try to get all the drawings to have them local and opening them by "open drawing" rather than "open drawing from Vault"

Message 5 of 11
bogdan946KV

Hi, with "drop file" I mean how .idw file was initially/first time added to Vault.

Yes, most common is to add files first time to Vault from local working vault folder or by creating files from the application and than Check-in

But you can also just drag-and-drop file/files from Windows folder it to Vault Client, and this is how you loose relationship of files, and what you described can happen. 

Based on picture you posted of vault browser, the .idw file already in Vault. So how it was added to Vault first time?

Message 6 of 11
e-j_devries

I never dropped a file like that in the Vault, so it was saved if it was a "fresh" .idw and then checked-in in Inventor.

Some files were copy designed from other files, that always have worked fine. My collegues are not having this issue.

Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I could be wrong but this could be related to certain Inventor dlls not being loaded when they should be. Try adding the following system variable to see if it helps.

Close Inventor.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> add "DYNAMIC_LOAD_APPLETS" and set it to 0.

Restart Inventor and perform the problematic workflow.

Does it work better now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
e-j_devries
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This seems to work so far!  Thank you

Message 9 of 11
e-j_devries

I am again at the point where I am making 2D's.  The problems still/again is there. I already checked the system configurations, the rule I added still is there.

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you start a new assembly, does it work then?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
e-j_devries
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I had to problem today, after 3 hours of working  and several 2D's just once. Most of those indeed were new assemblies or parts. But the time I had the problem was with a new assembly.

But most of the work we do is copy designed parts, so no parts built op from zero.

Next time I do a copy design I'll do a "synchronise properties" in the Vault. Hopefully that works.

That I now don't have the issue after posting here feels like going to the garage with your car because you here a weird noise from time to time. But not then 😆

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report