Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio in tutorial videos

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Paul.Normand
4196 Views, 11 Replies

No audio in tutorial videos

Greetings,

There have been some questions raised about the lack of audio in the guided tutorial videos. The overview videos for the tutorials in the learning path do contain audio. These are the same videos we use for the Get Started Videos>Essential Skills Videos in the Help. If you play these videos inside the Learning Path, closed captions are not available. If you play them from the web, closed captions are available.

The videos that accompany a task in tutorials created by Autodesk do not contain any audio. There are a few reasons for this:

• The tutorials created by Autodesk are translated into multiple languages. Not having to re-record the audio lowers the cost of translation.
  • The task videos are typically about a minute long and the actions in the video match the descriptive text, so the need for narration in minimized.
  • The .webm format we use in the tutorials does not support closed captions yet.

That said, if you create your own tutorials, there is no technical limitation for including audio in the videos you create.

If you feel that narration is required for our task videos to be effective, or that we should add a disclaimer that the video does not contain any audio we’d like to hear from you!

Thanks!

Paul

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mikeb
in reply to: Paul.Normand

I came here to post this same complaint. I understand the limitations and perhaps the choice to not include audio, however it limits the usefulness of the tutorials.

I've been going over them, and honestly beyond the first one I was starting to get frustrated trying to constantly rewind and figure out which tiny button was being clicked on for 0.25 seconds. It was getting very tiresome trying to follow the tutorials I eventually just gave up.

I would strongly suggest reconsidering the tutorials approach. I really appreciate that so much work was put into them, but it just misses the ball entirely in an attempt to ease the transition to Inventor.

Message 3 of 12
asiteur

Hi,

I think the Learning Path is so easy to use that the lack of audio is not really an issue.

The number of videos available on the other hand is rather limited, at least it didn't suit my needs and I found myself learning most from a very boring book.

For me a bigger learning path which allows to go more in-depth is more useful then audio.

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 12
mcgyvr

@Paul.Normand wrote:

Greetings,

There have been some questions raised about the lack of audio in the guided tutorial videos. ..........

If you feel that narration is required for our task videos to be effective........we’d like to hear from you!

Thanks!

Paul

Asked and answered IMO..

Audio will always make a better tutorial for some.. Thats a given..  Some need the audio to follow along...

Others do not..  

Those that do not can always hit "mute" but to capture the greatest audience audio is a must.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 12
kgilham
in reply to: asiteur

Alexander,

Have you checked out the new Tutorial Gallery in 2017?  This new area is updated fairly regularly by our Customer Experience Design team.  We have added tutorials that range in topics from 3D PDF Template Editing to Dynamic Simulation Basics.  We also added the ability for customers like yourself to create your own tutorials to share with the Inventor Community.  The Learning Path is great but like you mentioned it is geared more towards users who are just learning the program.  Please check out the Tutorial Gallery and let us know what you think. Smiley Happy

Thanks

Kyle Gilham
Customer Advocacy Manager
Message 6 of 12
karthur1

I think it is huge benefit to include the audio in with the video.  It makes it so much easier to understand what they are speaking rather than watching "mouse gestures" to try and figure out what they are trying to explain. It makes the videos more professional and polished when it has audio with it.

I understand what you are saying about having to translate to different languages, but if its done in English, that would cover 90% of us that are watching it.   Don't use that as an excuse to not include the audio.

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Paul.Normand

In response to the feedback you all provided here, the new 2018 Design Accelerator guided tutorial for shafts and gears does include audio in each task video. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Normand
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
Paul.Normand
in reply to: mikeb

Hi Mike,

I was curious about something when you said you were finding it hard to see what command was being clicked in the videos. We typically add a command (or browser) highlight to show exactly what you need to pick for a particular step..

If there is a lightning bolt displayed next to a panel text entry that means you can mouse over the text and an arrow will point to the command (or browser item) you are supposed to select. It will even change to the correct ribbon tab.

Did you not discover this UI element?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Normand
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12
vmontefusco
in reply to: asiteur

Many of us are beginners and/or we would like to learn more about some of the features and audio would be helpful. We all aren't as smart as some.

Thank you

Vince

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: kgilham

Hello. it is now 2019 and there is still no sound with thr tutorials.

It also goes so fast, that I cann't folllow the tutorial at all.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

November 2019 and still no audio in the most recent version. This is extremely poorly thought through. Someone could always mute them if English was bothering them.

Your text instructions are poor for an absolute beginner. Assumptions are made and details skipped. Clearly you have not properly (at all) tested these with someone new to the product. This would be basic stuff for a tech company.

Nice product and it clearly targets users who are not just design professionals. Wake up and handle your support better.

Message 12 of 12

I thought this glaring deficiency might have been because I'm using the trial version.

If Autodesk expects trial users like me to purchase...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report