Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network version of Invetor 2016

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
500 Views, 17 Replies

Network version of Invetor 2016

After it is installed on a windows 10 or windows 7 machine it will not open.  We will not even get the splash screen.  I did run the installer as an administrator.  Is there a specific port number that the software communicates with the licensing server on?  Any suggestions on what to try next? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community...

If you're not even getting a splash screen I would start first with the video graphics card and make sure its up-to-date.  Do not rely on Windows telling it is, go directly to the vendor's web site.

Also bring up task manager and make sure there is no additional Inventor.exe running.  What happens if you launch the Inventor by right mouse click and run as admin?

Update:  Also I assume these machines meet or exceed the system requirements for Inventor 2016?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Yes they do exceed the requirements and I updated the video card first.  I also tested the software on one of my Dell precisions and had the same result.  I started this using windows 10 and then moved to windows 7 with the same result.

Message 4 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Did you check task manager and run the application "as admin"?

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Yes it is there and I have tried to run it again while it is there as admin again it tells me it can't start because inventor.exe is running

Message 6 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

So when you launch it..  It (Inventor.exe) appears in the task manager and no splash screen.  In task manager does Inventor keep consuming process information or does it appear to be idle?

Mark Lancaster

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

It idles

Message 8 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

Ok lets try this..

Save the attached Inventor 2016 part file on your desktop..  Then double click on it so that it launches Inventor 2016.  Does Inventor work then?

Update:  @Anonymous first before you do that..  Launch task manager and make sure there is no Inventor 2016 running.

Mark Lancaster

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

That didn't work.  It did the same thing as it normally does.  Inventor.exe pops up in task manager and then just idles

Message 10 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

I assume this has never worked after you installed Inventor 2016 on any machine?

If this is not working on any machine in your organization then something common about your configuration and/or policies is causing the issue.

Do you have any anti-virus application?  Can you disable that and retry?

Try this..

Make sure no Inventor is running under task manager

Select Windows Start button and type cmd

When the command prompt appears in the list, right mouse click on it and select run as admin

Navigate to C:\Program files\autodesk\Inventor 2016\bin

Type Inventor.exe /install

Wait a few mins and then relaunch Inventor.  Does it work then?

If that doesn't work, then run the Inventor reset utility (link is my signature).  This will reset the user's Inventor profile.  Launch Inventor again.

Mark Lancaster

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

Tried all of that and it didn't work.  It just does the same thing you can see it running in task manager but never opens.

Message 12 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

Either I missed your answer or not...

But has this never worked after you installed Inventor 2016 on any machine?

Mark Lancaster

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

It has never worked for us here.

Message 14 of 18
mflayler

Just out of left field on this but....

Is it possible it is on a second screen that is not disabled?

Hold Alt and then Spacebar, let go, then M and use your arrow keys to see if it is just offscreen.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler

Didn't work.

Message 16 of 18
mflayler

Read through this and see if this works (similar solution to previous attempt), just to see if you get a different response.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Also there are ports that contribute to licensing for FlexNet...but you would at least see a splash screen before the error message.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Ports-...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 17 of 18
mflayler

A similar thread that might help...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Ports-...

Personally, I would think your download might be bad at this point.  You might want to run the Autodesk Uninstaller and cleanly remove your Inventor, then download the files again.  Make sure you use the Download Manager or the Browser Download or the Virtual Agent to get the files (don't use the Install Now option).

When you put it back in make sure your UAC and Antivirus are off during install.  Which antivirus do you use btw?

Also put in service packs before launching as well, that might help.

Message 18 of 18
ChrisMitchell01

The subject of this thread is Network version of Inventor 2016"...

What exactly do you mean by Network version ? I assume that you are trying to run Inventor on a client computer & the licenses are served out over the network from a separate license server. Is that correct ? Is the license server running correctly ? Do you see any errors in the debug.log file on the license server ?

How is the license server name defined on the client ? Did you use a part@servername or simply the servername or otherwise ? By default communications are performed using port 27000 & 2080 - are those ports open in the license server firewall ?

See here for further info about network license server configuration:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/network-license-administration/install-and-configure...

I hope you're not trying to install Inventor to a network drive & then run it over the network on a separate computer - that is not supported.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report